• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless connection issues (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
At home we have BT Broadband with a wireless router. My own computer works absolutely fine with it via my wireless connection. However, my aunt's computer just will not connect wirelessly, or if it does the connection is easily lost, but works perfectly via an ethernet cable. The ethernet cable is far too short to use practically - it's not helpful for my aunt to do her browsing while sitting on the stairs or in the hall! - and she would like the wireless to work properly.

I have tried two different wireless LAN connecters (one old, one new), both of which pick up the signal just fine, but just will not connect to the net. Plugging in the ethernet cable works just fine. I have tried everything I can think of, including installing and reinstalling software, repairing the connection and so on, to get this to work wirelessly, but no luck so far.

Any experts out there with any ideas as to why the wireless LAN connecters find a good signal but won't connect while an ethernet cable is just fine? The computer is running Windows XP and has 512MB of RAM. I've run out of ideas.

:storm:

thanks
VB

Excuse if I state the obvious VB but she has typed in the WEP code of your router? Take it she's running XP and has Microsoft Service pack 2 installed.

I sometimes take my laptop to friends when away and it finds the wireless lan signal immediately it just needs me to input the router WEP and off we go.

Stewart

Stewart J. said:
Excuse if I state the obvious VB but she has typed in the WEP code of your router? Take it she's running XP and has Microsoft Service pack 2 installed.

I sometimes take my laptop to friends when away and it finds the wireless lan signal immediately it just needs me to input the router WEP and off we go.

Stewart

That could be the problem, I'm just checking it out now.

Cheers

It's all sorted out now, thanks, my aunt had entered the wrong WEP key, putting in an 8 instead of a 0 for one of the digits.

Many thanks for all your replies. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back