• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

stoat in logs (1 Viewer)

hunterpaul

IMG_9755.jpg

here is something I have just finished... press on the link to see the pic.... thanks Paul

this came out great Paul, it such a difficult composition but you pulled it off. In the link photo the cut logs seem over bright, but that is probably the camera.

Great, I love stoats! I can see you've not had 'idle hands' lately ;)

I particularly like the way you've got all the bashing and dirt and saw marks on the log ends, that's how it is and there's a tendency to try to clean stuff like that up so it's good to resist the temptation.

Mike

Fine portrait Paul - those bright black eyes are great - really one of the cutest assassins nature has produced. Excellent!

Fine portrait Paul - those bright black eyes are great - really one of the cutest assassins nature has produced. Excellent!

and very efficient at its job too.... I saw a fab bit of footage of one running a rabbit around a field until the rabbit was exhausted, then he popped over and slayed his quarry... all the while all the other rabbits sat around eating grass, nonchelantly (SP).... I also saw not so long back, what I thought was a deformed rabbit, dragging itself across the road, it then proceeded to climb the wall at the side of the road, it was then I got a glimpse of this tiny creature, managing to drag this corpse that was three times its size over the wall... I got out and before I got there the stoat and rabbit were both gone... like magic... brilliant... Paul

sorry not to have commented sooner paul,this is a lovely image,i can imagine the animal popping itself in and out of the logs to peek at whatever happens by as they do.your tale of the rabbit climbing the wall reminds me of an encounter i had with a weasel whilst out mountain biking a couple of years ago.i spotted a house sparrow in the road,wings outstretched and on its back but moving! on stopping the bike about 5 ft away the sparrow (obviously dead)stopped moving and a little face peered out at me from beneath.the weasel promptly dropped its prey and legged it but knowing them as i do i knew it wouldnt be able to resist popping back and sure enough a minute later it returned,gave me a glance and legged it again this time with sparrow!

Hi Paul, I saw this in my email....is it a baby stoat? sooooo cute!

Attachments

• ATT stoat 28924656.jpg
    ATT stoat 28924656.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 53
wow, I've been off the forum for ages, or at least not replying for a long time - better make up for that now. Superb piece, the logs are a whole world to explore

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back