• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (3 Viewers)

Can anyone id these 2 darters from my garden for me? No other photos of the second I'm afraid as it took off and disappeared over my house when I tried to get a better angle.

Thanks.

The first one I'm confident is common. The second looks like it might be ruddy, but I'm not really confident that the legs are actually black rather than striped so it may just have to go down as Sympetrum sp.

The first one I'm confident is common. The second looks like it might be ruddy, but I'm not really confident that the legs are actually black rather than striped so it may just have to go down as Sympetrum sp.

Thanks, gonna have to try harder to get pics of darter in the garden to try to prove a Ruddy. With Common Darter, and a Southern Hawker yesterday, I'm up to 13 species in my garden this year |=)|

There were some Small Red-eyed Damselflies around the lagoon in the middle of the rough ground on the right of the road between the bridge over the river and the start of the estate proper. Not sure if this is a known site for them?

Simon

I'm so glad you posted this! Was there yesterday and was convinced there were SRED there but have not seen SRED before! Will have to go back and try for some pics. Besides, I didn't get Clouded Yellow yesterday so need to look for them again too!

Chris

A trip back to Queen's Hills today confirmed Small Red-eyed Damselfly (unless I've made a huge identification error!!), which are abundant to say the least at the moment. The Hawker was taken in my garden yesterday and I am sure it's Southern if someone can confirm...

Chris

Attachments

• DSCF3908.JPG
    DSCF3908.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3912.JPG
    DSCF3912.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF3875.JPG
    DSCF3875.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 89
A trip back to Queen's Hills today confirmed Small Red-eyed Damselfly (unless I've made a huge identification error!!), which are abundant to say the least at the moment. The Hawker was taken in my garden yesterday and I am sure it's Southern if someone can confirm...

Chris

Right on both accounts! The extension of blue along both ends of the abdomen is the key feature of Small Red-eyed, and the broad antehumerals a good feature to separate Southern from Migrant Hawker.

Simon

Yes it is, but not sure why its got that orangey tail band tho!

Simon

Thanks Simon. It was the first non-adult Red-eyed that I've identified, hence the required confirmation. Don't know what colour it should have been at that stage, but presumably the orangey tone at the tip of the abdomen would have developed into a nice sky blue colour eventually.

Steve.

Thanks from me too regarding the Small Red-eyed Damsels at Queen's Hills! Having only recently 'discovered' Queen's Hills as an interesting place for stuff, I hadn't yet visited this side of the development, nor did I know there was even a pond here. Anyway went briefly today (nice to meet you DaveBuggin!) and saw loads. Also c8 Common Darter, 3 Emperors, several Black-tailed Skimmers, Common Blue and Blue-tailed Damsel. Definitely a good site to revisit as the pond looks stuffed with aquatic life.

I almost certainly had a willow emerald at the normal spot at Strumpshaw yesterday. I'm not sure if any have been reported from there yet this year.
(I saw an emerald land on the willow in one of the god areas lifted my bins and it was gone, but jiz certainly looked very good for WE, not seen common emerald on willow in this area before)

I almost certainly had a willow emerald at the normal spot at Strumpshaw yesterday. I'm not sure if any have been reported from there yet this year.
(I saw an emerald land on the willow in one of the god areas lifted my bins and it was gone, but jiz certainly looked very good for WE, not seen common emerald on willow in this area before)

A Willow Emerald was seen in the usual ditch (not by me) on Saturday afternoon so very good chance it was one.

Simon

2 darters from the garden on Thursday. I believe both are Common, is that correct?

Attachments

• DSCF3943.JPG
    DSCF3943.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF3963.JPG
    DSCF3963.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 63
Single Banded Demoiselle flew east Garden Street, Cromer at midday today. Also one on A149 Walsey Hills, on 18th, which, sadly, was dead on the side of the road.

Saw a Four Spotted Chaser at UEA lake on Thursday. Nothing unusual in that respect, but was the first I had seen there all summer (and I only work 5 mins from the broad). Still plenty of Brown Hawkers around the lake and the river as well.

Saw my first ever Southern Emeralds today at Winterton North Dunes, with 7 on the northern-most pool north of concrete blocks plus 1+ on the northern-most pool south of the concrete blocks. Plenty of Emeralds too and Ruddy and Common Darter. Saw a fair few Hawkers, confirming Southern and Migrant.

Attachments

• DSCF4160.JPG
    DSCF4160.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF4168.JPG
    DSCF4168.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF4173.JPG
    DSCF4173.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF4149.JPG
    DSCF4149.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back