• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pollenated Hummer (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
I would appreciate help with this hummer caught 6/1/13 at the Paton House, Pategonia, AZ.

Attachments

• hum1.jpg
    hum1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 80
  • hum2.jpg
    hum2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 98
  • hum3.jpg
    hum3.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 71
It looks like a female Black-chinned Hummingbird to me. Ignoring the yellow pollen, it's small-looking, very grayish overall, has a relatively long, slightly droopy, all black bill, and the characteristic Black-chinned shape, especially in the first picture with her tail held up as she hovers.

I would, of course, bow to Sheri's vastly superior knowledge. I've got a LOT to learn and there's nobody better to learn from than Sheri.

Mind you, playing devil's advocate, I've always thought of Costa's as having a slighter and straighter bill than this, and usually a greener forehead and upperparts, with distinctly more white above the eye and less black on the lores (I don't think I've ever seen a Costa's with such thick, dark lores). Plus the fact that Black-chinned is very common at Paton's while Costa's is reasonably rare there (although usually annual).

But then, I haven't written a field guide to hummingbirds, so I'm a relative layperson compared to our resident expert! :t:

Mind you, playing devil's advocate, I've always thought of Costa's as having a slighter and straighter bill than this, and usually a greener forehead and upperparts, with distinctly more white above the eye and less black on the lores (I don't think I've ever seen a Costa's with such thick, dark lores). Plus the fact that Black-chinned is very common at Paton's while Costa's is reasonably rare there (although usually annual).

You bring up some important points, Richard. Allow me to address them:
  • Bill shape varies within species as well as between, but in my experience most Costa's, especially the longer-billed females, show a slight decurvature similar to Black-chinned.
  • The pale fringing visible on the nape and lower back is characteristic of juvenile plumage, which would account for the drab forehead and upperparts and the inconspicuous "eyebrow" (which in many adults and some juveniles can be helpful in separating both Costa's and Anna's from Black-chinned and Ruby-throated). Adult female Costa's are also rather drab this time of year, having worn their current plumage since last summer/fall.
  • The presence of pollen on the throat raises the possibility of pollen on the forehead, which would obscure its natural color.
  • I haven't found the lores to be helpful in distinguishing between Calypte and Archilochus.
  • Probability should always be considered, but it can trip you up if you give it too much weight.

Last edited:
Could it be a Channel Islands Allen's Hummingbird?
It does look a little like Phoebe, if you're familiar with her. I'm not one for ID-ing hummers. I just threw out a possibility. Y'all can say if it's worth consideration or not.

What a great discussion, and an excellent hobby. Thanks all for participating. Wish the pictures were a little sharper. Initially, when I saw the color, my mind raced with the hope of something special. It was the second time in a day that I saw a hummer drinking from a puddle, a first for me.

emoxley, Allen's Hummingbirds do pass through southeastern Arizona later in the summer (as early as late June), but the Channel Islands subspecies (Selasphorus sasin sedentarius) is almost exclusively nonmigratory and restricted to southern California. As far as I know, there is only one record of that subspecies outside southern California, and it could only be identified by in-hand measurements.

zoutedrop's bird has none of the rufous coloration that helps to distinguish Allen's and its closest relatives (Rufous, Calliope, and Broad-tailed) from other hummingbirds. The absence of rufous points us to the "green-and-gray" group, which includes Costa's, Anna's, Black-chinned, and Ruby-throated. The field marks I outlined above narrow it down to Costa's.

If you'd like to hone your hummingbird ID skills, you could start with the links above, which will take you to Flickr galleries that I've assembled to help people with identification of the most common and widespread U.S. species.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back