• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So whats going on with my hummers? (1 Viewer)

NJbirdnerd

United States
Over the past week or two, its like they have become possessed. The season started out slow, with mostly males and a random female here or there hitting my flowers and feeders throughout the day. Now suddenly there are a couple hand-fulls buzzing around at any given time and they are quite aggressive towards each other. Its fantastic action but some of them are quite the bully! I am assuming many of these are newly fledged trying to establish or protect areas such as my feeders and gardens to prepare for the upcoming migration south. But its so interesting to see how their attitudes have switched over recent days. Ive put out a few extra feeders, and spread them out as much as possible but it doesnt seem to matter much. There are some males that will perch all the way across the property on a wire or limb, and just wait to dive bomb any unsuspecting hummers. They are like little missiles! If I recall they will only have a single brood per summer, so I am guessing this is how its going to be the rest of the season. Quite a show. Any thoughts on what else I can do to help keep them separated and battling so much?

Hi, Ryan. I think your hummers are starting to fatten up to head on that long journey south, and the males usually start before the females and juveniles. When I lived in AZ mine were always more aggressive in the late summer and early fall. They are such little bully birds, and so fun to watch.

They are still battling out there. I thought they would have calmed down a bit by now but they are as active as ever. There are clearly some newcomers in the area and things get pretty heated. One is is amazingly chatty as well. He clicks and squeaks constantly. A few first year males even starting to get their ruby feathers. They get more bold by the day as well and will land on the feeder as Im still holding it. It is great to see so many of them out there at all hours of the day and be able to get so close to them. Some pics for fun!

Attachments

• 20230817_191438.jpg
    20230817_191438.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230823_191220.jpg
    20230823_191220.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230823_191242.jpg
    20230823_191242.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230823_192504.jpg
    20230823_192504.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 3
I don’t miss living in AZ much. But I do miss the number and variety of hummingbirds I had at my house. Just put my feeder up here on the Oregon coast this week, and have had a few Anna’s find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back