• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed for a "new birder" (1 Viewer)

mswhite

Hello all,

In short, I plan on starting my new hobby of bird watching and photography in a couple of months. However, I would like some advice on binoculars and cameras. I would like a digital camera with a great zoom lens. Any advice out there from you experienced individuals? What camera would be good for a person just starting out? What is a good camera and what should I stay away from? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Would like to keep in the price range of about $500.00 for the camera. Thanks to all who reply. Feel free to e-mail me at chewbacaATfwi.com

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
The all-in-one "superzoom" cameras such as Canon S3, Panasonic FZ-7 or FZ-50, Sony H5 and such are hard to beat for starting out. They're all about $500 or less for the basic package. Anything less will leave you wanting more zoom. Image stabilization is very important. They're also very light and compact. Depending on what you're used to they may seem "bulky" or "heavy" compared to pocket cameras, but they're really featherweights compared to most good cameras.

For binoculars, you probably want medium power. High power binoculars are usually heavy, and surprisingly difficult to aim and find a bird with quickly. I stopped carrying my 10x50 binoculars because they were too bulky and heavy.

Last edited:
I agree with Bkrownd that the super-zoom camera is the way to go for you. Olympus also makes good super-zooms, although I think the Canon S3 is the camera of choice right now.

As far as binocs, 7x or 8x power is probably best for a beginner (for advanced too), although I'm sure some might recommend 10x. The second number (e.g. 8x40) gives an indication of how much light-gathering the binocular can do. The larger the number, the brighter, but also the bigger and heavier the binoculars. Unless you'll be doing a lot of birding in dim conditions, x32 or even x25 should be fine and give you a nice compact pair. You can get a good pair of porro-prisms for about $80, but don't go much cheaper. If you wear glasses, look for a high "eye-relief" number (at least say 15).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back