• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amsterdam july introduced birds (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi!

I will be having a few days tourist trip to Amstrdam with family on july. Any chance to twitch some introduced species nearby with easy access?

Birds of interest:

-black swan
-bar-headed goose
-sacred ibis
-bufflehead
-ross' goose

All advice appreciated!

I doubt that any of these birds deserve to be called introduced birds anyway, although Black Swan may be getting there. Expect disdain from Dutch birders (including me) for looking for these! But I'll try to offer some help anyway.

For Black Swan, Bar-headed Goose and Sacred Ibis, I'd check http://waarneming.nl/ for an accessible location near Amsterdam.
There may be some moulting flock of Black Swan in July somewhere close to Amsterdam (Gooimeer maybe). If I were so inclined, I'd tick them only in the Krammer-Volkerak estuary where I've seen multiple family groups, but this is quite a long way away.
Bar-headed Goose is regularly seen around Nieuwkoop, which has some GOOD birds (like Purple Heron) which would deserve attention.
Sacred Ibis is a regular escape but hardly an introduced species. There's one close to Amsterdam at the moment. It may turn up at one of the sites near Nieuwkoop too, because a zoo at Alphen aan den Rijn was not too careful with them.
Unless there's a Bufflehead at Barendrecht, you can forget about that. It is either a single escape or a returning wild bird.
Ross's Goose is not often reported in summer (if a bird is hanging around with the summering Barnacle Geese, it is likely to be at an inaccessible location anyway). There may still be one in the Autrichepolder, which is as far away from Amsterdam as you can get in the Netherlands. Again, this bird is an ordinary escape...

The Dutch public transport system now requires you to buy a chip card, with which I have no experience...

Last edited:
Thanks for advice, the page linked looks good for searching birds around in Holland! i know it is not the most credible thing to be looking for the introduced/escapee species :) (sometimes hard to know which one is the status) I think I have seen pretty much all the other "decent" species that occur near Amsterdam.

Hi, I think Black Swan is the only one of these which is both likely in July and 'official' established self-sustaining bird. I had good sightings in the past near Oegstgeest. As Xenospiza said, try waarneming.nl. If you struggle to have a new lifer in Netherlands, you may also chase some rarity reported on waarneming,nl.

Last edited:
There's a pair of Black Swans on the village pond of Den Burg, Texel. Texel (the largest and southernmost Frisian island) is easily doable on the train & ferry as a day trip from Amsterdam, and provides one of the best all-round birding experiences in the Netherlands. Check the recent sightings on vwgtexel.nl and weep at the rarity list. If you need travel or site info let me know, I lived on the island for 4 years.

N

Thanks for your help guys! The only birding I was able to do with family on this tourist trip was in Vondelpark and Rembrandt's Park which were also nice places :) central Amsterdam provided 36 species in 3 days for a tourist and from my perspective the most interesting species were White Stork (2 flew over in Vondelpark), Short-toed Treecreeper, Egyptean Goose and Ring-necked Parakeet (also Alexandrine Parakeets). Maybe someday I manage to do a real birding trip in this wonderful country :) cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back