• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Inverness - help wanted! (1 Viewer)

S West

Hi everyone,

I have already posted this in the 'Birds and Birding' forum, but it was suggested that I might get some more help from here.

I have recently accepted a job in Inverness, starting in April, and I just wanted to get a bit of information on good places to go birding in Inverness? Unfortunately I do not have a car, so I will have to rely on public transport or lift shares to get anywhere. I have never been birding in Scotland before, so want to see as many of the Scottish birds as I can!

Are there any good places to go in Inverness itself? How easy is it to get to Loch Ness without the use of a car? Can anyone suggest anywhere for me to go?

Many Thanks

S West

There is a "Highlands and Islands" thread on here and Im sure,you shall find that useful.Plenty of great places in the area to visit but not sure how good the public transport is.There is a train from Inverness,that goes to Aviemore and there are a few superb sites around there,that can be walking distance or by using the local bus service.Hope that starts you off ?

Hi S West,

I'm not an Inverness expert, and I am sure there are others on here with more knowlegde, but I pass through often, and sometimes on Public Transport and there are plenty of places that can be explored.

There are a few places within Inverness boundries that are walkable. Longman Point I think is probably the most notable, I have seen a good assortment of species here including Little Egret and Smew and a walk down past the football stadium along the shore can be productive. I saw a small number of LT Duck in the harbour a few weeks ago. It's quite exposed down there so wrap up!

Further along Ardersier is a half decent site that's well served by some of the Airport Buses. Similar(ish) birds as Longman, but there is a fair amount of gorse around Fort George. I find it a bit more hit and miss in my experience (which is limited) but it can be a good spot to watch Dolphins.

Castle Stuart Golf Course is on the same Bus route, its private, but I had a walk down last year and the staff 'seemed' tollerant as long as you stick to the beach or paths in the evenings when the course is closed. Excellent site for Short Eared Owl, the increasingly scarce Grey Partrige and lots of variety of smaller birds, its also another good spot for Dolphins. *You may want to check out access beforehand tho*

A short trip on the train to Nairn would be another good option, its not a massive walk to the beach, then on to Culbain Sands where there are things to see all year round. I have had a few Velvet Scoters there, and its a pretty spectacular beach/walk.

There are places further afield. I've always found that although trains and buses are few and far between, the services generally run to timetable and you can often have them to yourself. There are regular buses to Dornoch/Tain if you want to Explore the Dornoch Firth and Loch Fleet and bus drivers will let you off pretty much where you want on the route. For example if you wanted to do Loch Fleet you can get dropped at the Skelbo turn and simply walk along the shore. I'm sure buses also go through Skelbo and Embo during the week, but Embo is easily walkable from Dornoch, there is a footpath along the shore which can be productive in itself, and Embo Pier (about a 30 min walk from Dornoch) is a superb spot, lots of seaduck/Grebes and Divers at this time of the year.

Not sure that is of any use. I'm based up in Ross-shire if you need any help with that neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Hi, I live in Inverness (Lochardil) and there's plenty within a reasonable walk for you in the town itself.

River Ness - Runs right through the centre of town. You can regularly see Goosander, Red Breasted Merganser, Goldeneye, Heron, Dippers and Cormorants along the river. The Ness Islands are always worth a wander round and you'll see plenty of finches and tits and other small feather tweeting things that I can never identify! I'm better with sea birds :) You also have a reasonable chance of seeing red squirrel and Otters.

Lochardil Woods are good for a short walk (about 30 minutes from the town centre) and have a good spread of woodland birds and Tawny Owls. I've also had a Barn Owl swoop overhead a few evenings ago.

Caledonian Canal - runs nearly parallel to the River and is always a nice walk if nothing else. If you follow it to the Muirtown Basin you'll end up at the Merkinch LNR. It's a great spot but near one of the rougher areas of town so you stand a reasonable chance of bumping into the local buckfast swilling characters - they're generally harmless though and I've never had any bother.

You can easily get a bus out to Nairn where you can walk out to Culbin Forest.

Loch Ness is a bit more of a fiddle to get to, the local bus service to Dores isn't terribly frequent. However if you have a bike you can easily cycle there in about half an hour. I quite often cycle out to the RSPB reserve at Loch Ruthven (Slav Grebes), it's a hilly ride but the scenery is always worth it!

Feel free to give me a shout when you get here, always happy to give someone the guided tour!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back