• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted Titmouse feet (1 Viewer)

diana51

I have a couple of tufted titmouses that come to my feeder regularly. Recently I've noticed that one of them is pecking at his feet all the time. I assume that he has some kind of mites or something and there is nothing I can do, but I wanted to see if there maybe was something I could add to the feed or something. He looks miserable and I feel bad for him.

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Are you sure it doesn't have a seed been its feet and is pecking at the seed to break its shell? I see this all the time.

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Are you sure it doesn't have a seed been its feet and is pecking at the seed to break its shell? I see this all the time.

Thanks for the welcome! I don't think there is a seed since I have observed it a number of times over a couple of days. Today I saw a chickadee doing the same pecking so I'm worried that my bird feeder might be somehow spreading something.

Hi Diana,
As mentioned, both Chickadees and Titmice often hold onto a morsel of food with their feet and peck at it.
That said, there is lots of evidence that feeders can be a rampant source of infection, with eye infections the most common. Bumblefoot is also a result of an infection, but I do not know if feeders are a factor.
It might be well to to give your feeder a thorough disinfection ( a bleach wash will do fine). You will be more comfortable knowing that you're not helping spread anything and the birds will have a safer feeder.

Yeah I would just bleach the feeder just so your mind can be at ease. But I have also seen this behavior at the feeders we have set up over our back porch. I thought something was wrong too until I was able to get a good close up and see that the little guy actually did have this tiny seed in his toes! So cute.

The titmice are definitely pecking to break the seed husk in their feet, as this is what they do. I have a portable clothesline in the back with metal poles from which I have hung several feeders, and the titmice constantly grab the seed from the feeders and jump on the metal pole and peck the seed open. I could see where it might look like they are pecking at their feet, but this is the normal way they eat. The chickaddes do this also, but is is most noticeable with the titmice.

Enjoy the show

They're definetly holding seeds between their feet and cracking them open with their beaks. I've seen this very many times myself.
I can't even think of a disease that would warrant this behavior.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back