Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden List 2011

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Monday 21st March 2011, 16:12   #151
joannec

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
What about with the flyovers, GB?
I was wondering that too.............looks like some serious competition!

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st March 2011, 17:30   #152
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannec View Post
I was wondering that too.............looks like some serious competition!
With flyovers could be 'formidable!'....with 3 Lesser Redpoll on the 13th and Chiff Chaff in the grdn. on Sunday, edges me up to 30 in..and 21 out.
Old Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 07:03   #153
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Some unusual flyovers this morning: Heron, Greylag and Curlew. And, tantalisingly too distant, a flock of what were probably Golden plover!

But, silently passing through the garden, an inevitable

67 : Chiffchaff.

Edit: 50 species by 11 am. (Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel & Buzzards in the warm thermals, Meadow pipits coming through - even butterflies today.)

Re-edit: miscounted - was 48 spp.

Last edited by halftwo : Tuesday 22nd March 2011 at 12:53.
Old Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 12:12   #154
Nick Tonge

I feel slightly shamed by the list totals being quoted on here. I managed a paltry 27 in over a decade at my last house.

During that time I never saw a House Sparrow in the garden (more of a yard really). This weekend I moved to a new house some 200 metres from the old one, and the place is crawling with spadgers. This house actually has a garden (which borders on other gardens), and I'm hoping to beat 27 in 11 months, never mind 11 years!

indiebirder blog
indiebirder twitter

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 12:55   #155
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Yeah! Three

68 : Sand martins

right through overhead, and a Treecreeper makes the morning's total 49.

Just need a different gull or two to pass to reach 50 for the day - unfortunately I'm off to work soon.
Old Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 13:12   #156
pbst39

Im on 52 so far for the year including 2 additions this morning. First was a Jay, a new garden bird (14 years in the making despite living near some decent habitat). I sprinted 50 metres down the road to get it as I first saw it flying away from me but just managed to get home in time. Secondly Waxwing, for the second time this season but the last were in November last year.
Old Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 19:42   #157
KenM

Quote:
Yeah! Three

68 : Sand martins

right through overhead, and a Treecreeper makes the morning's total 49.

Just need a different gull or two to pass to reach 50 for the day - unfortunately I'm off to work soon.
halftwo...I think you should go into competition with the RSPB!
I suspect your yield per hour/per sq.m. could give them a run for their money!

Come to think of it..turn it into the 'place to bird' offering a selection of teas cakes etc. and retire from your 'proper job'.

cheers
Old Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 20:20   #158
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tonge View Post
I feel slightly shamed by the list totals being quoted on here. I managed a paltry 27 in over a decade at my last house.

During that time I never saw a House Sparrow in the garden (more of a yard really). This weekend I moved to a new house some 200 metres from the old one, and the place is crawling with spadgers. This house actually has a garden (which borders on other gardens), and I'm hoping to beat 27 in 11 months, never mind 11 years!
Nick - I've been in that situation: used to live in town with a 'yard' a la Coronation St. I used to listen to a Starling doing impressions of Curlews and other impossibilities & dream.

Good luck with the new garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
halftwo...I think you should go into competition with the RSPB!
I suspect your yield per hour/per sq.m. could give them a run for their money!

Come to think of it..turn it into the 'place to bird' offering a selection of teas cakes etc. and retire from your 'proper job'.

cheers

Hmm... there's a idea!

Got to say that 49 is one of the best days ever: pity the gulls decided not to commute today (with only Bh & Common visible). A combo of winter birds still present (Fieldfares, Redwings, Siskins, Lesser redpolls) and two summer visitors, plus some good ad hoc passage...and the fine weather. Still there's three hours nearly before midnight - a owl or two would be good.

Edit: 50 it is ! Tawny owl distant but persistant, calling away.
Also a flock of c30 birds went W-E high & fast in a shallow V, but silent. Waders maybe?

Last edited by halftwo : Tuesday 22nd March 2011 at 21:16.
Old Thursday 24th March 2011, 15:58   #159
greenbunion

Quote:
What about with the flyovers, GB?
Stop panicking! I have just noticed that the thread is "2011".
My forty is since we moved in 6 1/2 years ago!
Apologies for not reading properly :)

Last edited by greenbunion : Thursday 24th March 2011 at 16:02.
Old Thursday 24th March 2011, 21:28   #160
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

25. Turkey Vulture, a flyover.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th March 2011, 23:06   #161
KenM

I managed 20.....in...and 10 out today, the same number as yesterday..but with a few adjustments...Chiffy, Canada Goose and
Rook (only my 2nd in 28 years!) today! Cancelling out Goldfinch, Mallard and Tawny Owl yesterday.

With perhaps a putative split?..with an is it?..or isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5053.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	314901  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5058.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	314902  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5068.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	314905  
Old Saturday 26th March 2011, 08:32   #162
joannec

62) Canada Goose
63)
A raptor that I wish to remain secret for now, you can guess which one H.

So are we doing day garden lists now? Gosh you guys are real listers! I'll do a little summary instead. There is a rookery very close to my house, only about 30 yards away and I can see into some of the nests from the upstairs windows. Every year it is exciting and fun watching the antics of these sociable birds; their squabbles over sticks and raiding each others nests for the choicest bits for their own nests. At a particular stage in the nest building they like silver birch twigs and I often have 5 or 6 at a time breaking off branches from the silver birch tree in my garden. They've moved on to the final touches of dry grass and moss now and I'm sure some pairs are already sitting.

Still have up to 6 Yellowhammers coming to feeders in the apple tree, hoovering up the spilled seed of a morning. It's all happening: loads of pairing up of the common birds and with the fine weather we've been having there is constant chiffchaffing coming from the woods as the Chiffchaffs pass through.

There are two pairs of Buzzards nearby, their displays are a daily occurance, a Sparrowhawk is a regular visitor and Ravens frequently pass over. I suspect a nesting attempt is being made in some nearby woods; this is a specie that is really expanding its range in Sussex.

Old Saturday 26th March 2011, 15:37   #163
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Well done on that 'raptor' Joanne.

Jealous of those Yellowhammers - still need them here for this year.

After my exceptional 50 in a day things have gone rather quiet. The very next morning I saw or heard Lesser black backs & Goldcrest which were missing from the big day. You can never get them all.

I've gotta say that the bramble patch at the back of my garden has to be a contender for the best small breeding bird patch. How about this:

Long-tailed tits have now finished their exquisite nest and it's visible from my watchpoint. Within ten metres of it are nests of two Blackbirds, a Bullfinch, a Song thrush, a Dunnock, and probably a Chaffinch and a Robin.
A Goldcrest and a Chiffchaff are staking it out as a territory, Greenfinch and Goldfinch are other possible future nesters there & when the Whitethroats & Blackcaps return one or both might return to nest there too. The Pheasant and Moorhen, I'm sure, are nearby.
Within 25 metres of this patch is my house and small garden which has House & Tree sparrows building, Blue & Coal tits prospecting (both bred last year) and a Woodpigeon is building. Wrens are in my neighbours' garden. Great tits don't seem to have started yet, but are distinct possibles later. Magpies are completing their nest in my neighbour's tree across the road.

Like you Joanne I have a Rookery visible with a Crows' nest on its periphery - near to last year's. Jackdaws are crammed into every crevice in the church and Buzzards are nesting within the immediate area. The local Greater 'pecker uses next door's oak as its regular drumming perch and Starlings are prospecting that tree.

This little area must compete with any comparibly-sized piece of habitat anywhere, surely?
Old Sunday 27th March 2011, 08:24   #164
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

26. Common Grackle
27. Chipping Sparrow
28. Brewer's Blackbird

Last edited by Larry Lade : Sunday 3rd April 2011 at 16:42. Reason: forgot to add CHSP

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th March 2011, 08:32   #165
KenM

8 Redpoll this morning! (I am trying to make a real Meally out of one them, at least 3 Siskin, a Continental Coal Tit type (grey backed), and a flyover Peregrine, all before 8am. Puts me on 53 so far.....

cheers
Old Sunday 27th March 2011, 21:16   #166
Cheshire Birder

Chiffchaff added today!

CB
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 04:21   #167
dree mott

Spotted my first owl outside this evening.
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 12:10   #168
joannec

Quote:

Jealous of those Yellowhammers - still need them here for this year.
Yeah............ well, I have to have at least one or there would be no chance of catching you up!

Quote:
How about this:

Long-tailed tits have now finished their exquisite nest and it's visible from my watchpoint.
Nice, they can be so secretive. Do you know......one year they had nested in my garden and I didn't even know until months later when I cut back the honeysuckle and there was this gorgeous domed nest underneath all of the tangles.

Quote:
This little area must compete with any comparibly-sized piece of habitat anywhere, surely?
Yep, I think so. It must be a fabulous home patch. I think it's all about trying to make the birds that are already in the nearby areas, want to stay in our small patches by creating favourable habitat.

Old Monday 28th March 2011, 18:47   #169
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Well, the probable total of breeding birds was reduced by one today...

A quiet commotion and a rustle in the hedge behind me; next door's chicken sounding off in a querulous "waaaark". I went to investigate: a female Sparrowhawk took off from the hedge bottom nearby. But she didn't want to go.

As she circled, eyeing me from the sky, I realised she must have left prey behind. Keith, the cat, was sniffing around under the privet. I saw some feathers: grey, russet and black: pretty. Then Keith homed in on something lying there; I got to it just as he did by forcing through the tangle.

A headless Tree sparrow, still warm, lay in my hand, a single drop of blood stained my finger. Their backs are very similar to House sparrows' backs, but, the legs are yellow, not pink: not something that's struck me before. Strange. The Sparrowhawk had gone, the corpse remained. I left it to Keith, who crunched the remains until just wings were all.

Later, on the feeder, just one Tree sparrow. Wonder if it will find a mate?
Old Wednesday 30th March 2011, 09:18   #170
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

A pretty creditable 40 on Saturday included my earliest ever garden Sand Martins (2 singles heading north) and Blackcap (just the one female). Then on Sunday a calling Green Woodpecker and a flyover Lesser Redpoll joined the yearlist, with another (or the same) Redpoll briefly on the feeder later (feeder tick!).

James
Old Wednesday 30th March 2011, 20:04   #171
KenM

Having birded on and off during the course of the day without seeing a Sprawk, clearly conspicuous by it's absence!...then suddenly at 5.10pm all the Pigeons and Doves resoundingly! hit the skyline.

At last...my overdue accipter...alas it was not to be!...instead a most gratefully received Red Kite appeared (only my 3rd), along with my putative Meally Redpoll this shunts me up to 55.
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 07:40   #172
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Well done, Ken.

Just had an OSPREY fly right over my house - not too high. Managed to race in from the garden, and point it out to MrsH as it disappeared towards the north west, from the front window!!!

Second of the year!

I was watching a couple of LBB gulls (I think they were reacting to its approach) as they circled in the strong breeze - when suddenly, there it was coming in from the south east - fairly fast at ninety degrees to the wind, just gliding its way onward.

Last edited by halftwo : Thursday 31st March 2011 at 07:53.
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 08:00   #173
KenM

Excellent halftwo!....that's one raptor that I need as a 'flyover' will be keeping my 'mince pies' peeled for that one!

Here we are knocking on April's door and I haven't had Starling or House Sparrow in the garden this year.....yet?
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 08:13   #174
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Strange year so far, Ken. I'm still looking out for my first Linnet! Two Ospreys & no Linnets!

Three Fieldfares still hanging around this am., but the Peregrine's not been on the steeple for two nights now.
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 08:32   #175
KenM

Quote:
Strange year so far, Ken. I'm still looking out for my first Linnet! Two Ospreys & no Linnet
I've only ever had one of those in 28 years...a flyover calling!

Yes I can remember the days when...Linnet, Red backed Shrike,Turtle Dove,Yellow Hammer, Willow Tit, Marsh Tit, etc. used to breed within 300m!

Now we get occasional Goshawk, Red Kite, Firecrest, more numerous Buzzard, Hobby, Little Egret, Ring-necked parakeet...how things are 'a changing'.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: