• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird/Fish Pond Maintenance (1 Viewer)

sekororo

Hi all, I need advice. I'm adding a algea killer solution to my pond every 2 weeks. If not, all turns green. Do you think is bad for the environment and what other options are there?

sekororo said:
Hi all, I need advice. I'm adding a algea killer solution to my pond every 2 weeks. If not, all turns green. Do you think is bad for the environment and what other options are there?

Sorry for the delay responding but yes its bad for the environment and please stop. Basically the green appears because there is two much nutrient in the water. You can reduce this effect by planting other plants in the pond whcih will take up the nutrients instead and by adding shade providing floating plants which reduce the sunlight penetration into the water thereby limiting algae growth. If you haven't already got some I'd add some waterlilies or similar local species to start this off.

Some algae is natural and its fairly unusual for ponds to be gin clear. By killing the algae all you do is keep the nutrient in the water (in the form of dead algae) and prevent the build up of a valid food chain in the pond as one of the places where it would start is with animals eating the single cell algae.

Hope this helps.

I would agree with all of what Isurus says, and would only add that some greenness is quite normal and will often clear itself if left alone: that way a natural balance is achieved.

Isurus said:
Sorry for the delay responding but yes its bad for the environment and please stop. Basically the green appears because there is two much nutrient in the water. You can reduce this effect by planting other plants in the pond whcih will take up the nutrients instead and by adding shade providing floating plants which reduce the sunlight penetration into the water thereby limiting algae growth. If you haven't already got some I'd add some waterlilies or similar local species to start this off.

Some algae is natural and its fairly unusual for ponds to be gin clear. By killing the algae all you do is keep the nutrient in the water (in the form of dead algae) and prevent the build up of a valid food chain in the pond as one of the places where it would start is with animals eating the single cell algae.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the advice. One more thing, I have hordes of tadpoles swimming around in black clouds. Should I fish them out or just leave them?

sekororo said:
Thank you for the advice. One more thing, I have hordes of tadpoles swimming around in black clouds. Should I fish them out or just leave them?
Seems to me that's a good thing. Birds will eat them, some will survive so you'll have some insect eating toads about, and then you've got yourself a little ecosystem...just what we're after I think.

Scott

cavan wood said:
Seems to me that's a good thing. Birds will eat them, some will survive so you'll have some insect eating toads about, and then you've got yourself a little ecosystem...just what we're after I think.

Scott
Don't know what happened. I topped up the pond last night and this morning found all the fish dead, floating!! I think I'll just leave the pond empty, this is getting to complicated.

sekororo said:
Don't know what happened. I topped up the pond last night and this morning found all the fish dead, floating!! I think I'll just leave the pond empty, this is getting to complicated.

Finding all the fish dead that suddenly sounds like poisoning of some sort to me. Is there any chance that the water could have been contaminated in some way?

David FG said:
Finding all the fish dead that suddenly sounds like poisoning of some sort to me. Is there any chance that the water could have been contaminated in some way?
I live in rural south africa and we have a small water treatment plant which treat the water from the local dam. I think they may have over chlorinated or something, I don't know what else the put in the water. Well, I have resorted to catching indigenous fish in the dam and I've put them in my pond yesterday, maybe they are more resilient than the koi and gold fish, we'll see.

sekororo said:
I live in rural south africa and we have a small water treatment plant which treat the water from the local dam. I think they may have over chlorinated or something, I don't know what else the put in the water. Well, I have resorted to catching indigenous fish in the dam and I've put them in my pond yesterday, maybe they are more resilient than the koi and gold fish, we'll see.

overchlorination would do it, as could any number of other treatments. Where possible its best to "age" tapwater (eg by storing it in a waterbutt for a little while) before adding it to a fishpond. this lets some chemical treatments disperse into the air before adding to the pond.

Your local fish may prove better suited to the pond than koi and goldfish anyway (but its obviously gutting to lose your koi - I know).

Another possibility is an oxygen deprivation kill caused by bacteria eating the dead algae you mentioned above causing a eutropifcation cycle (spelling anyone?).

Isurus said:
overchlorination would do it, as could any number of other treatments. Where possible its best to "age" tapwater (eg by storing it in a waterbutt for a little while) before adding it to a fishpond. this lets some chemical treatments disperse into the air before adding to the pond.

Your local fish may prove better suited to the pond than koi and goldfish anyway (but its obviously gutting to lose your koi - I know).

Another possibility is an oxygen deprivation kill caused by bacteria eating the dead algae you mentioned above causing a eutropifcation cycle (spelling anyone?).

Thank you for the reply! Since the incident of the dead fish the pond has been crystal clear and the dead algea is slowly dissapearing on the floor of the pond. Maybe it's the algea eating bacteria you mentioned that is at work.
The water is pumped up into a little cement bowl and then tumble down some steps back into the pond, that should provide enough oxygen. New algea is growing on the sides of the pond, maybe things are finally getting into an equilibrium. The fish still look happy as long as we feed them earthworms.

sekororo said:
Thank you for the reply! Since the incident of the dead fish the pond has been crystal clear and the dead algea is slowly dissapearing on the floor of the pond. Maybe it's the algea eating bacteria you mentioned that is at work.
The water is pumped up into a little cement bowl and then tumble down some steps back into the pond, that should provide enough oxygen. New algea is growing on the sides of the pond, maybe things are finally getting into an equilibrium. The fish still look happy as long as we feed them earthworms.

I would never ever put any treatments into the pond, if a fish becomes ill if you have space ie a tank i would transfer the infected fish into the tank and start a treatment in the tank. If you continue to have problems drain the whole pond of water and if required empty the sediment in the pond onto your garden and start a fresh with water filling it up and leave it for 3- 10 days depending on size. Do not use treatment and then slowly build your population of fish back up. As another member has sugested if possible have a container to hold water in, so you can use to top the level up. Or if you want by draining some water out of the pond and pour the pond water over your garden this acts as a fertiliser giving the garden nutrients.

If you are wanting to cut down algea place plants into the water or change the water in the way I have described above. Or even have plants/ shrubs or trees planted near to provide some cover from the sun.

Please whatever you do do not feed or put your hands in the water after you have been washing or been cleaning as this poisons the water quality and affects the health of your fish sometimes fatally.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back