• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puter up the duff! (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
So it's sunday evening and my computer doesn't wanna play anymore??

Barely got connected and then got thrown back to the disc 'checking for consistancy' screen?, then when this was completed and ran it's course I got as far as typing my password in, then only for the disc check to start running again?

Does this sound like a virus type watsit??, the computer is currently being wiped/repaired in town so I'm having to post this from the local library!!

The computer doesn't get used for visiting websites where these things are usually picked up..

Matt

I'm no expert so ignore everything I'm about to say is my advice.

Sounds like the hard drive might have some bad sectors that it keeps tripping up on or corrupted files booting up. But really without seeing it, it could be one of a quadrillion (is that a word?) things. Not very helpful I know.

There was a virus (RPC virus or summat) that makes pc's restart often but your antivirus should cover that by now.

Fingers crossed for the pc.

I'm no expert so ignore everything I'm about to say is my advice.

Sounds like the hard drive might have some bad sectors that it keeps tripping up on or corrupted files booting up. But really without seeing it, it could be one of a quadrillion (is that a word?) things. Not very helpful I know.

There was a virus (RPC virus or summat) that makes pc's restart often but your antivirus should cover that by now.

Fingers crossed for the pc.

Cheers, hope this doesn't turn out to be expensive:eek!:

Matt

Got computer back from the shop yetserday, followed instructions and started
to run the norton anti virus scan ~ but still couldn't get the thing connected.

We're in the process of phoning virgin to find out if we need to aquire a new modem, apparently these things are 'tempremental', it must have also suffered a bashing during the last storms etc, so was advised to buy a surge protecter kit.

Matt

....currenty posting from the library, it's full of screaming rugrats:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back