• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some awkward German names (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Could any German-speaking birders help out with a small problem regarding two Shearwaters? What's the correct name for Cory's Shearwater (Puffinus diomedea) and for the Little / Macaronesian Shearwater split (P. assimilis and baroli).
I get two names for Cory's: Barthel and Liebig give Sepiastrumtaucher [1-2], while most other sources give Schwarzschnabel-Sturmtaucher.
Bathel and Liebig also accept the split for the Little / Macaronesian Shearwater, but almost everyone calls both species Kleiner Sturmtaucher without any modifiers.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Tony

[1] Barthel and Liebig, Limicola, 2005, vol 19, p89-111.
[2] Bathel and Dougalis, Was Fliegt denn da?, Kosmos, 2006.

I've had a look before at this one, but they also have some things that aren't consistent with other sources. The Limicola paper was commissioned by the Deutsche Ornithologen-Gesellschaft as their official list, but has quite a few differences between that and the Club300 site. Not entirely sure where the Club300 site gets the names from, though.
I'd like to stick with the DO-G list as the main source, but of course it doesn't cover a chunk of WP species, and that's often where the variation in names comes in.

Hmm. Now we've got three names for it...
Another awkward one is Green-winged Teal. Carolinakrickente or Amerikanische Krickente...? The official list says the first, everyone else says the second. And I thought the Germans loved order. ;)

I'm sure that similar disagreements over bird names occur in most languages. But although I admit to having zero knowledge of the German birding scene, I suspect that an organisation like Club300.de probably provides a fairly good reflection of the common names currently used by active German (but perhaps not Austrian/Swiss?) field birders in the Western Palearctic (c.f. English names used by Birding World, RBA etc. in Britain).

Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back