• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors in flight, TN, S. India (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

Hi, Im bad at raptors - especially when they are in flight. Could you please check my ID. First two were seen in the foothills of Siruvani forest, Coimbatore, TN, S. India. I think are black kites.
The rest were seen on the Nilgiri mountains, close to Geddai, in an area adjoining a reserve forest. I think its a Crested eagle. Do let me know your thoughts. I am posting some more images in the next post. Thanks, Jaysan.

Attachments

• What Rap1 IMG_2792.jpg
    What Rap1 IMG_2792.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 74
  • What rap 3IMG_2936.jpg
    What rap 3IMG_2936.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 55
  • What Rap2_IMG_2943.jpg
    What Rap2_IMG_2943.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 73
  • What rap 4IMG_2939.jpg
    What rap 4IMG_2939.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 82
  • what rap 5 IMG_2944.jpg
    what rap 5 IMG_2944.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 55
These were seen on the Nilgiri mountains, close to Geddai, in an area adjoining a reserve forest. I think the first three are the same Crested eagle. The large eagle (last one) is a black eagle I believe? Do let me know your thoughts. Jaysan

Attachments

• what rap 6 IMG_2946.jpg
    what rap 6 IMG_2946.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 41
  • what rap 7 IMG_2945.jpg
    what rap 7 IMG_2945.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
  • what rap 8 IMG_2947.jpg
    what rap 8 IMG_2947.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 64
  • what rap 6 IMG_2941.jpg
    what rap 6 IMG_2941.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 62
Thanks Tconzemi, 4 is a black eagle. My typo.

Any more takers for Bonneli's eagle? Thought the color on the wings were darker brown here. Just to say I did see a crested eagle nearby - shall post it over the next couple of days...

Last edited:
Thanks Simon & Tconzemi,

So I had 3 lifers (a bonelli's, a black and a crested eagle) within 6 hours. Wow.

The most difficult to photograph was the black - though huge as it skims the contour of the mountain. Was so mad when I could not focus quick enough. At one point, it was within a few metres of me..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back