• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox: HG or BD? (1 Viewer)

APSmith

I recently checked out the HG in 8.5x43. In the store, it is quite impressive in many ways, except for the FOV. The store did not have the 8x33 model or any BD models. The 8x33 is more a interesting model for me, partly due to the superior FOV. I have noticed on the net that the HG and BD are both aspherical and have VERY similar specs. Has anyone been able to directly compare the HG and BD in the same power/size?

I've also read on an older BF thread that all Minox models have objectionable flare/glare. Is this true, and if so, does it apply to the new HGs?

Also, does anyone know what the Minox warranty and service reputation are?

Thanks, APS

MINOX flare/warranty

Hi APS

sorry if this is a bit late, but I haven't logged on for a while.
I have had a pair of 10x52 BR-BDs for 3 years now and have to say they are pretty good but a bit heavy. In fact 2 days ago while up on the high fells I compared them side by side with a pair of Swaro 15x56 (not mine but another birders) and you can keep the Swaros which were, as far as I'm concerned, not worth the $1900 the chap paid for them - heavy, dark image and no sharper to my eyes than my Minox!
I have never experienced any flare problems and the one time I used the warranty - to have metal bearing eye cups fitted insted of the old plastic ones - I sent them to Minox (UK) by special 'next day' delivery and had them back 2 days later, also by special delivery, which seems to me to be pretty fantastic.

All I have to do is try to talk my better half into letting me get the HG's…

B

Hi APS

sorry if this is a bit late, but I haven't logged on for a while.
I have had a pair of 10x52 BR-BDs for 3 years now and have to say they are pretty good but a bit heavy. In fact 2 days ago while up on the high fells I compared them side by side with a pair of Swaro 15x56 (not mine but another birders) and you can keep the Swaros which were, as far as I'm concerned, not worth the $1900 the chap paid for them - heavy, dark image and no sharper to my eyes than my Minox!
I have never experienced any flare problems and the one time I used the warranty - to have metal bearing eye cups fitted insted of the old plastic ones - I sent them to Minox (UK) by special 'next day' delivery and had them back 2 days later, also by special delivery, which seems to me to be pretty fantastic.

All I have to do is try to talk my better half into letting me get the HG's…

B

Hi

can you let me know the address, cost etc and was it worth it.

thanks

colin

How do you use the brighness measurement that Minox quotes for their bins? The "twilight factor" for the 8x33's is ~16.2 whereas it is 19.1 for the 8.5x43's and 20.7 for the 10x43's. Am I to assume that the 10x43's are brighter than the 8.5x43's?

It's nowhere near as intuitive as Nikon's relative brightness.

How do you use the brighness measurement that Minox quotes for their bins? The "twilight factor" for the 8x33's is ~16.2 whereas it is 19.1 for the 8.5x43's and 20.7 for the 10x43's. Am I to assume that the 10x43's are brighter than the 8.5x43's?

It's nowhere near as intuitive as Nikon's relative brightness.

Welcome;

Review this thread. Might help out with some of the cryptic numbers.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=77086

Ron

Minox eye cups

Hi

can you let me know the address, cost etc and was it worth it.

thanks

colin

Hi Colin

Sorry for delay in replying.
YES it was well worth it - the 'new' eye cups stay in place whereas the old ones kept riding up and down. The service was excellent, postage (sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery - special plastic envelopes available from the Post Office, round about £6). I sent them to Service Dept, Minox UK.

'Davem' who responds to all Minox queries (unlike other mfrs, Minox DO respond to customer input via this site) will give you the full address as I've lost the details!!

Good luck

B

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back