• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice taken (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi All,
I'd like to thank you for the excellent advice regarding scopes suitable for digiscoping. On monday I collected a used (but excellent condition) Kowa TSN 822 with 32x and 50x eyepieces and bought a new Swarovski tripod (which the guy at LCE assures me is a Manfrotto with a different badge) at the same time.
I only went into LCE to follow the advice about trying different scopes but as this one was available at a good price I only came out after putting a deposit down!
As I had never even looked through a decent scope before now I must say that the clarity and brightness etc is going to add a whole new dimension to my birdwatching and hopefully picture taking too.
Next on my hit list is an adapter to fix the CP990 to the scope. I'll be after advice on that soon;)

Woody

Always good to hear of a new scope user... you'll never regret buying one.
The Kowa 32x is a popular eyepiece, so there's no shortage of good adapters.... L.C.E, EagleEye or Kowa to name just three.

Good for you Woody. I have the Kowa 823 and I am very happy with it for digiscoping.

I have the 32x and 20-60x zoom and the LCE adapter fits both, though I prefer to use a home made one.

Hi Ian, what's your home made arrangement like? I think after the shock to my wallet caused by the scope and pod I may need to get out the sellotape and sticky backed plastic!

Grousemore, I'm feeling the same way and all I've been able to do so far is about an hour in fading light looking at pigeons and starlings from my garden. Roll on the weekend...

Woody

Hi Woody,

I simply used a 28mm-37mm step ring epoxied to the inside of a 37mm-49mm step ring and then screwed to four empty 49mm filter mounts. For locking I drilled a hole through the side of the second filter mount in the 12 o'clock position and inserted a flat ended screw. It was cheap for me as I already had everything I needed.

An extra tip remove the lip from the female part of the 28mm-37mm step ring which sit inside the 49mm filter holders- it further reduces vignetting.

I later bought the LCE adapter but I find my DIY mount gives less vignetting and is quicker to fit due to just the one screw.

Here's a photo

Attachments

• home made digiscope adapter.jpg
    home made digiscope adapter.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 227
Thanks for the info and pics Ian. I'll cost the bits and maybe give it a go.

The idea that the camera is quick and easy to attach/remove appeals to me as, now I've got a scope, I fully intend to use it as one alongside the digiscoping.

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back