• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Recommend! (1 Viewer)

terry123

Hi Everyone.
Just bought a lovely Kowa TSN823 Scope. Came with a 32X WA.
I am thinking of getting a few things for it!!
!. Tripod. Think I will stick to a Manfrotto but because there are so many, I have come to you Ladies and Gentlemen! Hoping there are a few Kowa users!! to recommend one.
2. A Stay on Cover. Been looking at the adverts, the Kowa part No. is C821. Some of the adverts say it fits the TSN823M! Dont know if its different or not??
Ā£. Recommend another lens I could look at!!
Appreciate your help advice
Terry

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum.

The Kowa is a nice scope, even by modern standards - I briefly had one and despite the large proportions, it was optically very good.

A decent tripod (ideally carbon fibre) with as few leg sections as possible (ideally 3 maximum) in conjunction with a fluid head (e.g. Manfrotto 500 series) will give you the best view from your scope. If you state your price range, others may recommend specific products.

With regard to cases, the best option is the fitted Kowa SOC you mentioned - it fits the 82 series (i.e. 821, 823 and 82SV), so will fit your scope perfectly. Here is one for a reasonable price.

I can't help with eyepieces, but I know that Kowa made a zoom (not that great) and a 50x wide for the scope. Others have adapted a Baader zoom to good effect.

Hope this helps, good birding!

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum.

The Kowa is a nice scope, even by modern standards - I briefly had one and despite the large proportions, it was optically very good.

A decent tripod (ideally carbon fibre) with as few leg sections as possible (ideally 3 maximum) in conjunction with a fluid head (e.g. Manfrotto 500 series) will give you the best view from your scope. If you state your price range, others may recommend specific products.

With regard to cases, the best option is the fitted Kowa SOC you mentioned - it fits the 82 series (i.e. 821, 823 and 82SV), so will fit your scope perfectly. Here is one for a reasonable price.

I can't help with eyepieces, but I know that Kowa made a zoom (not that great) and a 50x wide for the scope. Others have adapted a Baader zoom to good effect.

Hope this helps, good birding!
Thanks so much Daneil!! Really appreciate your time and advice. Fancy the idea of a Fluid head. At the moment I have an old Velbon holding my opticron 52GS. But Def want better for the Kowa. Also Reading msgs alot of people just use the wide angle. Will get used to what I have first, then explore. Thanks for the advert, cheapest I have seen!! thanks for taking the time........Terry

No problem Terry, here is a 500 series head in good condition for what appears to be a good price. I'm using a Manfrotto 501 HDV for seawatching (heavy but very smooth action, can be purchased fairly inexpensively) as well as a Manfrotto 128RC as my normal (lighter) head - both on Velbon CF legs with my Swaro 65 - both are good options, though the 128RC isn't the smoothest.

No problem Terry, here is a 500 series head in good condition for what appears to be a good price. I'm using a Manfrotto 501 HDV for seawatching (heavy but very smooth action, can be purchased fairly inexpensively) as well as a Manfrotto 128RC as my normal (lighter) head - both on Velbon CF legs with my Swaro 65 - both are good options, though the 128RC isn't the smoothest.
Again! Thanks so much, really good of you..........the price is pretty good as well:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back