• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking advice on tripod for Kowa TSN99-A (3 Viewers)

dlheins

United States
I’m ready to order a Kowa TSN 99-A spotting scope but I could really use some suggestions on a tripod to purchase given:
  • I’m 5’9” (1.75 meters) and my wife is 5’1” (1.55 meters)
  • This is for birding only and will not be used for photography other than digiscoping.
  • I already have a Kowa TSN-553 which I’ll continue to use when I have long distances to walk, etc., so that makes light weight less of a priority for the new tripod
  • We live on the California coast so sea-watches in windy conditions will be a frequent use.
  • Budget is not a major factor.
  • Being able to break it down for packing for air-travel, etc. is not a factor.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Derek Heins

How far do you need to carry it to your viewing locations? Weight and leg diameter are the two things I have found most helpful for stability in wind but are also the two things that make tripods less portable.

How far do you need to carry it to your viewing locations? Weight and leg diameter are the two things I have found most helpful for stability in wind but are also the two things that make tripods less portable.
Because I have the smaller scope I believe that in most cases I won't be carrying it more than a kilometer.

If price is really not a concern then I would go with the Gitzo GT5533LS. It’s super stable while not outrageously heavy so carrying up to a km should be doable. More info on some good tripod testing can be found here.

I found my Gitzo Series 2 Mountaineer was not good enough for my Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD, I ended up getting a Gitzo Systematic GT3542LS. Presumably a 99mm scope would be more demanding yet. The original Gitzo "Systematic Traveler" GT4553S was a unique model that tried to combine the stability of the Systematic 5 series with the portability of a Traveler tripod.

I found my Gitzo Series 2 Mountaineer was not good enough for my Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD, I ended up getting a Gitzo Systematic GT3542LS. Presumably a 99mm scope would be more demanding yet. The original Gitzo "Systematic Traveler" GT4553S was a unique model that tried to combine the stability of the Systematic 5 series with the portability of a Traveler tripod.
To add to this- these tripods are all exceptionally expensive. Im just saying that as an aside because it’s terribly easy for me to recommend someone spend their money when I myself don’t have it to spend lol. Personally I use an RRS series 2 for my Meopta S2.

Additional thoughts on tripods.

RRS series 1 tripods are equal to Gitzo series 2, 2 = 3, 3 = 4, 4 = 5.

The only Sirui series 3 I have ever tried was more like a Gitzo series 2.

No Manfrotto I have had/tried exceeded a Gitzo series 2 in stability.

Nothing is standard!

I’m ready to order a Kowa TSN 99-A spotting scope but I could really use some suggestions on a tripod to purchase given:
  • I’m 5’9” (1.75 meters) and my wife is 5’1” (1.55 meters)
  • This is for birding only and will not be used for photography other than digiscoping.
  • I already have a Kowa TSN-553 which I’ll continue to use when I have long distances to walk, etc., so that makes light weight less of a priority for the new tripod
  • We live on the California coast so sea-watches in windy conditions will be a frequent use.
  • Budget is not a major factor.
  • Being able to break it down for packing for air-travel, etc. is not a factor.
Because I have the smaller scope I believe that in most cases I won't be carrying it more than a kilometer.
If you already have a travel scope (+tripod), if you usually don't carry the tripod for longer distances, and if you need a tripod for windy conditions, I'd seriously think about getting a wooden tripod. I find they work really well in windy conditions. The only problem is that they aren't light.

I'd recommend looking at the Berlebach range: : Tripods from Berlebach - The Genuine Alternative! Wooden Tripods Made in Germany Not sure they are easily available in the US though. Berlebach also has excellent video heads.

Another maker that's rarely mentioned here is Sachtler. Very expensive - and the best tripods I've ever seen. Aluminium or carbon.

Hermann

Hi Derek,

I`m in the UK and imported "the birder" tripod from the Audubon shop in the USA, it took me a while and I never see another over here but for a scope only I find it the most stable I`ve ever had.

John.

Heya Derek,
I use Gitzo Systematic 4543LS for digiscoping. I got them these feet...link below. The feet are wider and therefore even more sturdy especially on sandy beaches. I would recommend them to anyone. They are universal as long as you have the right thread at the bottom of your sticks.

The above feet are very tight and squeaky when you first get them so I sprayed some of the below on them and removed the excess. They move silently and like butter now.

B Lucky
Gary Loader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back