• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best budget scope?under 200 (1 Viewer)

Hi Mal

the best is always a dodgy term.

Check the offers on Warehouseexpress they have a Nikon RA60 II with 20x lens for £199

Also they have the Opticron Imagic 65 for £149 you could get an HR lens for £57.

Others to consider would be the Opticron MM2 with 25x lens £184 - you could get that at most places (in-focus will do you an offer on a tripod)

You'd need a tripod with those though. Even a cheapo will set you back £50

malgringo said:
can you please tell me the best startin off scope and under 200 if possible please?and where to buy?

Secondhand seems like the best route. You should be able to pick up a secondhand Kowa 611 (my first scope) or something similar for close to this, if you can find one. Some of these older models were considered top scopes just a few years ago, and they haven't got any worse in quality just cos a new model has come along in the meantime.

Try before you buy is always the best advice, particularly on a budget, because there are some dodgy scopes out there. A dealer like Focus Optics in Coventry should be able to help (they have a good range of secondhand stuff and plenty in the 150 to 250 range). Alternatively, In Focus have a good range of products including Delta (own brand?) - there is a Delta 70 starter kit for £200, although I can't vouch for how good it is. Someone else on the forum may know.

Don't forget to budget for a tripod btw.

Happy hunting.

malgringo said:
can you please tell me the best startin off scope and under 200 if possible please?and where to buy?

TRY THE SEBAN GIANT £149 FROM EBAY

CHECK MY GALLERY TO SEE SOME OF THE PHOTOS POSABLE WITH THIS BUGET SCOPE

IN MY OPINION A FAIR SCOPE FOR THE MONEY NEW

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

GOOD LUCK HUNTING FOR YOUR SCOPE

BILL

I second Hornet's suggestion about going to Focus Optics in Corley.
They are very nice people to deal with and they have their own 'reserve'
for you to try out your potential optics.
I bought my scope and bins secondhand from them...and I'm still v.happy
with my purchases even after 3 years.
Word of warning tho'....if you look through a top of the range scope,
be prepared to yearn for it...and to eventually buy it!!!...I did!

Dave.

hornet said:
Secondhand seems like the best route. You should be able to pick up a secondhand Kowa 611 (my first scope) or something similar for close to this, if you can find one.

My Kowa TS611 with 20x eye pieve, Skua stay on case and Velbon Sherpa 450 tripod is for sale for £250. Also my first scope, and an excellent one too. I've upgraded to a Swaro ATS80HD now so I'm selling my Kowa.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back