• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush NYC - 5/20/2018 18:50 (1 Viewer)

ScottSobel

Hi All,

I'm feeling pretty embarrassed not being able to positively identify this bird that was just outside my 7th floor window.

The bird was up in the canopy, near the top, of a London plains tree in the mostly monoculture of those trees right outside our window. This bird seemed small to both my wife and myself, smaller than I expect for a thrush. Though, that could be because we usually see them on the ground. We both initially thought warbler due to size. But, the markings look a whole lot more like a thrush.

I left some leaves in the first photo to help with scale for anyone familiar with London plains trees. I didn't really get very different angles, but here's what I did get. Unfortunately, I didn't realize my camera settings were such that it was high ISO. There may be a bit of chromatic aberration confusing things a bit, but not too much. The bird was overall brown including the tail.

We're thinking probably Swainson's Thrush. But, both Bicknell's and grey-cheeked would be new for us.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Attachments

• Thrush-1.jpg
    Thrush-1.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Thrush-2.jpg
    Thrush-2.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Thrush-3.jpg
    Thrush-3.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks to all of you for the common ID on a bird I should have been able to ID on my own. I'm a bit embarrassed for not being sure on my own. But, I appreciate the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back