• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (5 Viewers)

Hi there Tammie, from what I can see from your photos, the hairy antennae and triangular pronotum coupled with chequering pattern round the carapace leads me to Coriomeris Denticulatis. I hope this is of some help. Bellow

Spent the day on Martin Down last week, I managed to find just 2 shieldbugs but they were both new for me; the tiny Negro Bug Thyreocoris scarabaeoides plus the rare Conthophorus impressus which I managed to find under the trailing stems of Bastard-toadflax, which itself was very hard to find as it wasn't in flower yet. A couple of photos attached.

Stuart

Attachments

• T scarabaeoides.jpg
    T scarabaeoides.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 70
  • C impressus.jpg
    C impressus.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 71
Shieldbugs at Chobham Common

Pics attached of two excellent predatory bugs seen yesterday on the Common.

Picromerus bidens - Spiny Shieldbug
Rhacognathus punctatus - Heath Shieldbug

Attachments

• Picromeris-bidens-160709-3a.gif
    Picromeris-bidens-160709-3a.gif
    87 KB · Views: 79
  • Rhacognathus-punctatus-1607.gif
    Rhacognathus-punctatus-1607.gif
    68.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Med Shieldbugs

Hi, from previous posts I have labelled these two, seen in the south of France on flower heads, as shieldbugs Codophila varia and Graphosoma italicum. Is that correct? Many thanks!

Also, do they have common names, English or French? Apologies for not wading through all previous 20 pages of this very informative thread again!

Attachments

• Codophila varia_01.jpg
    Codophila varia_01.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Graphosoma italicum_01.jpg
    Graphosoma italicum_01.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Codophila varia_02.jpg
    Codophila varia_02.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Graphosoma italicum_04.jpg
    Graphosoma italicum_04.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Thanks Wanderer - Milan it is then - easy to remember.

I saw a bunch more of them today, they like to live in that curled up flower.

And then I saw these three - which I took for an Italian menage-a-trois. However when I got home and looked at the pics on the computer, I realised the interloper was the only Milan Shieldbug (Graphosoma italicum / lineatum), and the other two are a different Graphosoma altogether - presumably semipunctatum.

They have dots near the head, and underneath have more, smaller dots on a paler background. Because I thought they were all AC Milan I didn't get a decent photo as I have loads already now. :-(

Attachments

• _01.jpg
    _01.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 65
  • _01-2.jpg
    _01-2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 59
  • _01-3.jpg
    _01-3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 58
Wanderer, I've since found that the Milan Bug generally goes by the name of the Striped Shieldbug - possibly even easier to remember ;-) And Graphosoma lineatum seems to be the preferred species name.
http://www.gardensafari.net/english/picpages/graphosoma_lineatum.htm

Here are another two I saw - I think they are shieldbug nymphs or similar. The adults I saw in the vicinity were those above (G. lineatum and semipunctatum) plus the Dock Leaf Bug and Green Shieldbug.

The first looks a bit like a Burrowing Bug (Tritomegas sp.) on gardensafari's page.

Edit: on second thought Eurydema sp. (possibly E. oleracea) looks like a better fit:
http://www.commanster.eu/commanster/Insects/Bugs/Pentatomidae2.html

Attachments

• Nymph shieldbug ?_01.jpg
    Nymph shieldbug ?_01.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Nymph shieldbug ?_01-2.jpg
    Nymph shieldbug ?_01-2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Not sure if this thread is still alive but here are some more from today. The first three I will hazard a guess are Carpocoris mediterraneus (they were only about 50 yards away from the Med…), the fourth Eurydema ornata, and the last, coming round the corner, Nezara viridula, as the three white spots are just visible.

Attachments

• Carpocoris mediterraneus 1_01.jpg
    Carpocoris mediterraneus 1_01.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Carpocoris mediterraneus 2_02.jpg
    Carpocoris mediterraneus 2_02.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Carpocoris mediterraneus 3_03.jpg
    Carpocoris mediterraneus 3_03.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Eurydema ornata_01.jpg
    Eurydema ornata_01.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Nezara viridula_01.jpg
    Nezara viridula_01.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I found a number of eurygaster nymphs, 4th instar & younger, while sweeping tall sand dune grasses beside the coastal footpath in East Kent.
I retained a couple of nymphs, both 4th instars, to try & rear through, initially feeding them on the grasses they were swept from, then gave them a choice of locally growing species & they clearly favoured Cocksfoot of these.
They successfully matured into adults & I am extremely pleased to confirm they were both Eurygaster maura, the rarer of the two eurygaster species

Stuart

Attachments

• 3703803783_dda145beec_b.jpg
    3703803783_dda145beec_b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 3703800331_39e5da1ee6_b.jpg
    3703800331_39e5da1ee6_b.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 3704606006_44d3d099cf_b.jpg
    3704606006_44d3d099cf_b.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 76
Not sure if this thread is still alive but here are some more from today. The first three I will hazard a guess are Carpocoris mediterraneus (they were only about 50 yards away from the Med…), the fourth Eurydema ornata, and the last, coming round the corner, Nezara viridula, as the three white spots are just visible.

The last one isn't Nezara viridula, but don't know the species. It's from a different related family.

Last edited:
The last one isn't Nezara viridula, but don't know the species. It's from a different related family.

The shieldbug in question is on the leaf behind the one with the rhopalid bug on, it is mainly in shadow & not that easy to see.
I would agree that it is Nezara viridula.

Stuart

3 more possible shieldbugs

Here are three I spotted at the weekend, nearby in Italy.

The first I think may be the Broad Shouldered Shieldbug - Cydnus aterrimus.

The second the Southern Green Shieldbug - Nezara viridula - in a nymph stage.

3, 4 and 5 are unknown, possibly not a shieldbug at all. Maybe three nymph stages (not the firebug but the insect below to the left). In the last pic I was taking a shot of the firebug and didn't see the insect behind. Pic 3 & 4 were ladybird sized.

Attachments

• Cydnus aterrimus_Broad Shouldered Shieldbug ?_01.jpg
    Cydnus aterrimus_Broad Shouldered Shieldbug ?_01.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 55
  • Nezara Viridula_Southern Green Shieldbug_02.jpg
    Nezara Viridula_Southern Green Shieldbug_02.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 55
  • _03.jpg
    _03.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 68
  • _04.jpg
    _04.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 56
  • _Firebug_05.jpg
    _Firebug_05.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Here are three I spotted at the weekend, nearby in Italy.

The first I think may be the Broad Shouldered Shieldbug - Cydnus aterrimus.

The second the Southern Green Shieldbug - Nezara viridula - in a nymph stage.

3, 4 and 5 are unknown, possibly not a shieldbug at all. Maybe three nymph stages (not the firebug but the insect below to the left). In the last pic I was taking a shot of the firebug and didn't see the insect behind. Pic 3 & 4 were ladybird sized.

Hi George,
pics 3, 4 & 5 are of 3rd instar Nezara viridula; they change quite a lot from one instar to the next! See here:
http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Pentatomidae/nezara_viridula.html
Cheers,
Steve.

Okaay! I feel like an idiot for not realising that after all the "research" I've done… Thanks Steve. They're very dinky looking nymphs :) Can you confirm pic 1?

Okaay! I feel like an idiot for not realising that after all the "research" I've done… Thanks Steve. They're very dinky looking nymphs :) Can you confirm pic 1?
No need - they're tricky little blighters at the best of times;o) More so on the continent as there's so many more of them [as there is of everything!!]
I don't have any first hand experience of Cydnus aterrimus but your shot matches well with the illustrations in the guides I have. If you found it in a sandy area [which the background looks like!] and there were spurges in the vacinity, then I would say you certainly have that species.

Some cracking shots of bugs on here and this summer I've found myself getting into bugs of all kinds but shieldbugs just fascinate me. Could anyone confirm that this is a Forest Bug (Pentatoma rufipes)? Took the photo on the wall of my house yesterday. Cheers.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back