• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Bird Behavior (1 Viewer)

Black Bird 32

Hi-I'm new to bird watching-recently moved to Scotland from Canada and am really enjoying all the different birds coming to the garden! I've been putting out food for the blackbirds every morning. The female has been taking care of her one young blackbird and when the male comes into the yard to eat-the female will chase him out-she opens her wings and runs across the ground at him chasing him away. Is this normal? The female is taking food under the tree to her young black bird who is able to fly at this point. The male and female are the same pair that has been coming for the past several months. Just find it interesting-is she protecting the food for the young one?

Ok-today I realize there are actually 3 young ones and the mother; and finally the male. The mother still runs the male off in the morning when I put out food but later in the day he can eat and she doesn't bother with him. I think she must be protecting the food as she runs back and forth with it under the tree for some time after I put the food out to feed her young. Anyways, I'm getting engrossed in their family dynamics and keep wondering what they are actually saying when they communicate with one another. Does anyone have any suggestions for books on bird behavior? I see there is another forum on new birdwatchers so I will check that out too!

It's interesting though because I have seen the male feeding the young in the past couple of weeks. Also, the male has been with the female in the past and it appeared they were 'together' sitting close to each other on top of a bird house one evening. Sometimes, when she runs him off; he'll sit at the edge of the yard and make this soft one note peep sound over and over while she eats. Anyways, I find this bird watching facinating-I can't wait to get out with the RSPB local group to Troup Head this weekend. Take care.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back