• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

waterproof covers for camera & IS100-400mm lens (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I have a Canon 1000D with the IS100-400mm lens but I've noticed a reluctance in myself to take this set up out if there's a liklihood it might get wet. I don't know much about the equipment but I'm assuming the lens is fairly waterproof (but that you still probably wouldn't want to tempt fate by leaving it out in heavy rain) but the camera (being entry level) less so.

Is there waterproofing equipment like a cover I can use to carry it in all weathers? I don't expect it to keep out the seawater of the Moray Firth (where my last one ended up!) but I do expect it to protect the camera & lens from tropical rain storms as I'll be taking it to Sri Lanka next year. Keen to hear others' suggestions/ experiences - also whether anyone has constructed any decent 'DIY' covers that allow usage without a degree of unpacking.

thanks
James

I have a Canon 1000D with the IS100-400mm lens but I've noticed a reluctance in myself to take this set up out if there's a liklihood it might get wet. I don't know much about the equipment but I'm assuming the lens is fairly waterproof (but that you still probably wouldn't want to tempt fate by leaving it out in heavy rain) but the camera (being entry level) less so.

Is there waterproofing equipment like a cover I can use to carry it in all weathers? I don't expect it to keep out the seawater of the Moray Firth (where my last one ended up!) but I do expect it to protect the camera & lens from tropical rain storms as I'll be taking it to Sri Lanka next year. Keen to hear others' suggestions/ experiences - also whether anyone has constructed any decent 'DIY' covers that allow usage without a degree of unpacking.

thanks
James
James, Wildlife Watching Supplies do waterproof covers for both Camera and lens.

Yes, got two, one that fits a 200-400 or 500mm, and the other fits a 600mm lens.
In simple terms they are like a trouser leg with a slit down one side (velcroed) the front end is elasticated and fits around the lens hood, and the other end has a draw string which can be pulled tight and also covers the whole of the camera body.The ones I have, are camo on the outside and double lined.I have got pretty wet, but camera and lens never! For full cover in serious rain if you are walking, you may like to consider a shower cap on each end.
regards.

Glad Cling wrap works great - I've used it a lot on my 300mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4. An umbrella clipped onto the tripod works well too.

I tend to carry one of those Exped drybags in my pocket to use in a real downpour, especially if I've left my camera bag at home. You turn the top over a couple of times and engage the quick release buckle which gives you a nice handle to carry the set up with. The bags are available in an assortment of sizes from outdoor shops.They're very useful for all sorts of things.
Having said that, I keep thinking I ought to get a raincover from WWS !!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back