• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reports from at Home and Away (1 Viewer)

There is a bald eagle nest on the Wabash River a bit south of Lafayette, Indiana, that I drove out to have a look at yesterday afternoon before the leaves hide it!

Was able to watch two eaglets (they look to be at least crow-size) bobbing around in the nest, as well as one parent. Parent flew off the nest, soared over the river a bit, then landed on a dead tree limb just above the water to fish.

What a magnificent event! I hope I never get so used to seeing bald eagles living and thriving in the wild that I take it for granted.

marianna said:
What a magnificent event! I hope I never get so used to seeing bald eagles living and thriving in the wild that I take it for granted.
I agree with you. I have never forgotten my first encounter with Bald Eagles.
We were moving from near Ottawa to the Queen Charlotte Islands and had towed our travel trailor to Prince Rupert, BC. We couldn't miss the ferry so we pulled into line with other people to wait until the ferry would go the next morning. While we we waiting I heard strange noises that first made me think of a baby screaming. When I went out of the tailor and looked up at the trees above the ferry terminal, there they were. Two magnificent adult Bald Eagles.
Living in the QCI's, (or more correctly Haida Gwai) I saw hundreds of eagles but the first two have stayed in my memory.

I THINK I saw an immature b eagle fly thru my backyard last year - I went dashing to the porch to see it in a distant tree and then when it took off its wingspan reached between two trees! I've read in area papers that at least one pair has nested on the O.river. THe one I saw was all dark - thus immature.
Also while on board a ship on an Alaska trip 10 years ago - the captain would announce "bald eagle starboard" and the boat would literally list in that direction as all passengers ran for a look-see!.

We were down in Cape May the early part of April. It was freezing the first 2 days but then it warmed up. New birds for me were; greater and lesser scaup, sanderlings(floating in groups on the rough sea-they looked like little "white-caps") lots of northern gannets, surf and black scoters, a harlequin duck, golden-crowned kinglet, green-winged teals, and american wigeons. I enjoyed the birding there very much and would love to return, although I hear it gets very crowded on weekends-spring and fall migration.

snowyowl said:
The first of our pair of Kestrals has returned to the nest box. :clap:

Great news Dan! I saw my first ruby-crowned kinglet in the yard. I wasn't expecting that little flash of red, but it made my day. Carolina wrens are using one of my boxes-another first. Things are looking up.

I have spent the last two days birding. The woods are still fairly quiet but things are picking up. Yellow-rumped Warblers started to appear as of Thursday. I saw 49 species in total but it wasn't the numbers that impressed me but rather what happened yesterday.
I've often mentioned East Point in my ramblings on here and here I go again.
East Point sticks out from the tip of the Island. It divides Northumberland Strait from the Gulf of St Lawrence and points like a dagger at Cape Breton.
As soon as I turned on to Lighthouse Rd I saw raptors circling above the fields. They would soar then drop behind the trees then re-appear. sometimes one would chase another one. I identified Osprey, Red-tailed Hawk, Broad-winged, Northern Harrier and Northern Goshawk. A couple of years ago, in the exactly the same location, I watched hawks towering as they prepared to glide other to the mainland in their fall migration. Today it was the opposite, these birds were new arrivals.
I drove the kilometer or so to the tip of the point and parked there for about 3 hours, for the most part just sitting scoping the sea. There were 5 very white gulls on the rocks below and after some debate (Iceland vs Glaucous) I decided on Glaucous. The reason for my hesitation is that Glaucous are quite rare here and to see 5 like that was wild. Eventually I counted nine of them.
At one point I walked along the cliff top and flushed 13 Great Blue Herons who were resting on the clifftop or on the rocks below. Obviously more birds who had just arrived and were taking a break on the first land they found.
American Kestrels were flying in off of the water at regular intervals the whole time that I was there, even three Merlins showed up. They would fly in and drop into the scrubby trees behind the lighthouse. When I left the Point I saw a Kestrel on the phone wires every couple of hundred yards for a of mile or so.
Nothern Gannets were flying by in short lines of two or three and the Great Cormorants were there in good numbers (there's a nesting colony at the Point). Surf Scoters, Common Eider and a few Long-tailed ducks were off-shore.
Add all this to the fact that it was a the best weather we've had since last summer (20+C, bright sun) and, as it was the setting day for the start of the spring lobster season, there were dozens of lobster boats offshore and you will understand what a marvellous day it was. :bounce:

Wish I had definite plans - but father-in-law just home from broken hip(85) - we can't travel too far away right now - hopefully by fall! Will be sure to notify you - think you'd be an excellent bird guide!!

Yesterday, three of us took a trip to North Cape at the far western end of Prince Edward Island. We made a number of stops for birding and had what I consider a pretty good day with a total of 56 species for the group. My own total was only 53.

For me the highlights were 6 Osprey (we spotted 4 nests, three on tree tops and one on a platform), 4 Merlins, 9 Black Guillemots, 3 Red-breasted Loons, 6 Blue-winged Teal, a Spotted Sandpiper and a Solitary Sandpiper. There were lots of Yellow-rumper Warblers around but we didn't seeany other species. Lots of sparrows, with the White-crowned Sparrows being the best of the day.

I have mixed feelings about days like that one. I tend to want to spend much more time at locations with less travelling. I think that we miss too much by being in a vehicle, for example, we didn't see any Downies, any Bonaparte Gulls or Caspian Terns. It's a fun type of day once in a while but just not too often.

Nice trip Dan - know what you mean tho re: traveling. I'm pretty content to stay on my "Ohio River Refuge" seem to see a nice variety from my porches etc.

I was at my youngest daughter's in Cols. this weekend - helping her paint her house interior. We noticed her cat fixated on something outside and found this robin's nest full of babies. I only had my small purse size digital - so I had to get up close and personal to get this shot ( mama patiently waiting with worm in her beak). It has taken me forever to get the photo resized for acceptance here - finally had to scan a print and successfully reduced the size that way. Viola! ( Are robins the only birds that eat worms? )

Attachments

• baby robins.jpg
    baby robins.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 188
amasara said:
I was at my youngest daughter's in Cols. this weekend - helping her paint her house interior. We noticed her cat fixated on something outside and found this robin's nest full of babies. I only had my small purse size digital - so I had to get up close and personal to get this shot ( mama patiently waiting with worm in her beak). It has taken me forever to get the photo resized for acceptance here - finally had to scan a print and successfully reduced the size that way. Viola! ( Are robins the only birds that eat worms? )

AAWWWW very cute picture!! Looks like the nest is a bit on the full side tho! hehehe

It has been a pretty good 24 hours for birds. It started yesterday evening when my wife and I decided to follow-up on something that my neighbour had told me. He said that someone harvesting Ground Hemlock in his (the neighbour's) woods had heard two owls. We went to the location (about 3 minutes from home) and I played the Barred Owll cd. After two repetitions something big flew over our heads from behind. I played a third repetion of the call and a Barred Owl landed in the tree above me, about 15' above my head. It started to call and a second Owl joined it in the same tree. They put on quite a concert for about 15 minutes while we watched and listened. I wasn't yet dark so we were able to examin them in great detail through binos.
Today we went to Prince edward Island National Park at Brackley and a Great Egret. Another good bird for me today was a Ruddy Turnstone in the Cove Head marsh. Here's the full list of today's birds:
Northern Gannet
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Ring-necked Duck
Common Merganser
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover Greater
Yellowlegs Lesser Yellowlegs
Ruddy Turnstone
Short-billed Dowitcher
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Caspian Tern
Common Tern
Rock Dove
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Tree Swallow
American Robin
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Parula
American Yellow Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle

Nice list Dan. I especially liked the part about the barred owls. I was proud of myself for being able to ID this especially loud pair of birds I kept hearing each morning, just from the call, to be great-creasted flycatchers. Today I finally got a look at them and that is just what they are. It was a little thing, but it made my day.

This has been a great year so far. On Wednesday I got a call about 3 sightings, a Snowy Owl, a Red-bellied Woodpecker and a Northern Mocking Bird.
I was very cynical about the Snowy because of the lateness in the year but followed up on it anyway. As I expected, no owl. Yesterday I got a second call from a friend who was looking at the owl while he was talking to me. I was actually in the grocery store buying groceries when the call came in. Half an hour later I was standing with my long-suffering wife and three friends looking at a fantastic mature male Snowy. Life is good!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:
I haven't checked out the other two birds yet because they are a much lower priority for me. I'll almost certainly see them sometime throught the summer anyway.
So far this year I've seen the Glossy Ibis, the Indigo Bunting, the Great Egret and now the Snowy Owl. All four species are considered Rare or Occasional here.

Wow Dan - your namesake! Is that your 1st one ? I too would love to see that handsome bird - keep him around in case I get up your way this fall!!
While visiting in TN at my mother's I saw a dozen different species. Was surprised to see both male and female towhees using her birdfeeder. Also a brown thrasher!! These are ground birds at my feeder!! It's nice that they do come up to hers as she's 92 years old and mostly sits and watches the feeder! THe squirrels make her mad and occassionly she makes her way to the front door and THROWS her cane at them!!

Last edited:
amasara said:
Wow Dan - your namesake! Is that your 1st one ? I too would love to see that handsome bird - keep him around in case I get up your way this fall!!
QUOTE]
This was actually my second Snowy although you would think that with the amount of time I've spent searching for them I'd have seen more. There was a little story attached to this sighting. Apparently one of the students in one of the nature related courses at the local college reported a Snowy Owl on the beach by a Piping Plover nest about 1/4 mile across the harbour from where this bird was seen. That was at the beginning of May. The student was concerned about the proximity to the Plovers so reported the bird to the course instructor who didn't believe the student and so didn't report the sighting.
Today I'll probably going looking for another "good" bird that was reported yesterday. The new one is Little Blue Heron. One of the teams in the Bain Birdathon spotted it. A friend went looking for it yesterday but didn't see it but I'll try today anyway. He went at high tide but I'll try low tide. Apparently it's an immature bird which may explain why it's lost and hanging out here.
We have a small network of birders here who communicate by email and phone so that interesting sightings are passed on fairly quickly. There are only about a dozen really dedicated birders here and they turn up a lot of the rarities but the more casual group also contribute a great many sightings. They are the group who tend to find things like the recent Indigo Bunting or Cardinals at feeders while the serious guys find the Great Egrets etc.

Well, it took me three trips but I finally saw the Little Blue Heron. It's an immature still in transition from white to blue. What a treat to see! Each time that I visited the area where it was reported I also went to East Point (about ten minutes from where the bird had been seen) and on my second visit, while it was blowing a near gale, I spotted Leach's Storm-Petrels zipping around close in shore. The usual collection of Common Eiders, Surf Scoters and Black Scoters were all present as well as lots of Northen Gannets. There were 6 non-breeding Harlequin Ducks hanging out below the cliff and I saw an immature Black-legged Kittiwake. Happiness is!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back