Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rarest bird seen whilst driving....?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:03   #1
KenM

Rarest bird seen whilst driving....?

Heading N.East on the A12 Sat.16th May, found me noting a perfectly lit BOP circa 3-400m ahead, at perhaps a 100' up, being pursued by a corvid as it flapped West across the road. Not being able to stop on the busy dual carriageway, I had already confirmed the Harrier shape with grey uppers and white rump from the initial sighting.

At that point I'd defaulted to male Hen Harrier....WOW! I thought, but then, just as I was almost underneath, I noted the dark contrasting bar running parallel to the secondaries on the underwing.

An even bigger WOW followed, a quick check when I returned home revealed 12-16 pairs breeding in the UK?, this got me thinking, certainly the rarest bird that I've recorded on a "non birding" (driving) journey....what's yours?
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:19   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Hen Harrier whilst in Scotland Ken. Weirdest was watching an Emu in WA. So used to seeing these in enclosures. To see one in the wild was a strange experience.

Rich

Last edited by ClarkWGriswold : Wednesday 20th May 2015 at 18:00.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:31   #3
halftwo
Wird Batcher

I've found Red-footed Falcon & Hoopoe from the car.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:48   #4
Tero
Retired

Two lifer ticks were in a car. One was rough legged hawk, I was a passenger so could turn my head. The other just barely missed windshield: lark bunting. I was the driver. I saw several more fly over the gravel road but none that close. When I stopped none reappeared.

Last edited by Tero : Wednesday 20th May 2015 at 16:58.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:52   #5
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Seen or found?

If the former it would be driving along the beach and up to the Ivory Gull feeding on a (porpoise?) carcass at Black Dog Sands
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:53   #6
rosbifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
I've found Red-footed Falcon & Hoopoe from the car.
Interestingly saw a Red foot yesterday from the car, my first - I had seen a Black Shouldered Kite from the main road two days ago so I went back to scope the area only to find the Red Foot in the same tree! I had already seen a BS Kite when they were a rarer sight a few years ago from the car.

Otherwise I guess the rarest bird would be Bonellis Eagle (c.30 pairs in France).
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 16:55   #7
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Had some good ones over the years.

Driving (as a passenger) near New Ross I picked up a Great White Egret flying along the estuary. Luckily there was a hard shoulder which allowed us to stop and view it.

In 2006 driving between youghal and ballymacoda I was forced to swerve into a layby as an adult Gull Billed Tern flew in front of the windscreen.

Later that same year I had to do similar again at Ballymacrown as a woodchat shrike sat happily on a telephone wire.

Just a couple of years ago, on a birthday surfing weekend in Co. Clare, again as a passenger, I had to scream at my friend driving to stop the car as an alpine swift zoomed over the road. I then had to flag down another friend (also a birder) driving behind us to make sure he got on it.

That one was really bizzare, as we were so busy watching it at first, that when we then went to text out the news (not really knowing exactly where we were), we had to look around to try and figure out landmarks to direct people. It was only then we realized that the livestock in the fields the bird was feeding over were not cows or horses, as we had assumed, but we're in fact llamas.
People must have thought we were drunk when text went out "Alpine swift. Fanore Co. Clare. Over the llamas."

Owen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150520_195411.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	544742  

Last edited by Pariah : Wednesday 20th May 2015 at 17:16.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 17:02   #8
Paul Chapman

Wasn't the first Black Lark for Sweden found by someone driving at the time? There is a Birding World write up. My memory may be playing tricks.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 17:22   #9
RudeRat

Driving from Minneapolis to Milwaukee I saw a pair of Whooping Cranes feeding in a field on the side of I94 south of Eau Claire. This was several years ago when there were only a few dozen in the state.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 17:42   #10
Farnboro John

Pelting down a dual carriageway in Yorkshire towards a Spectacled Warbler at Filey, I saw a small falcon coming the other way. As we passed it I turned to Mike McCarthy and remarked: "That was a Red-foot wasn't it?" - he confirmed the diagnosis and we rampaged on towards our tick.

We'd had one the previous evening at the Ouse Washes while on our way to connect with a Greater Yellowlegs, but that was signposted by a group of birders all intently binsing it.

Having grilled the Spectacled Warbler and had an incidental Bee-eater in the Arndale Ravine we finally took in good views of a female Red-foot just down the road!

John
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 17:54   #11
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

In common with the OP I have also jammed a low flying Monty's from the driving seat, a female over the A41 on my way in to work one morning. In order to clinch the ID I managed to follow it through a housing estate before it got too high. Once it had done so I examined my surroundings and found them to be utterly unfamiliar. Nearly late for work that morning, by the time I'd got my bearings again.

James
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 18:47   #12
Andy1979

Drove past a male Capercaille in 1990 near Ballater! Still my only sighting of this sp.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 21:47   #13
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Pelting down a dual carriageway in Yorkshire towards a Spectacled Warbler at Filey, I saw a small falcon coming the other way. As we passed it I turned to Mike McCarthy and remarked: "That was a Red-foot wasn't it?" - he confirmed the diagnosis and we rampaged on towards our tick.

We'd had one the previous evening at the Ouse Washes while on our way to connect with a Greater Yellowlegs, but that was signposted by a group of birders all intently binsing it.

Having grilled the Spectacled Warbler and had an incidental Bee-eater in the Arndale Ravine we finally took in good views of a female Red-foot just down the road!

John
John

In 1992, everyone saw at least one Red-foot from the car! We didn't bother to stop to confirm one near the Forth Road Bridge - we were looking for Chequered Skipper when the Spectacled Warbler broke.

We did stop and confirm one on a lamp post later in the spring also found from the car near Fakenham.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 21:49   #14
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
John

In 1992, everyone saw at least one Red-foot from the car! We didn't bother to stop to confirm one near the Forth Road Bridge - we were looking for Chequered Skipper when the Spectacled Warbler broke.

We did stop and confirm one on a lamp post later in the spring also found from the car near Fakenham.

All the best
I know - but three in a couple of days?

John
Old Wednesday 20th May 2015, 21:52   #15
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I know - but three in a couple of days?

John
Just teasing. But there were loads!

Taking my mind off a six hour round trip to watch a 0-0 draw.

All the best

Old Thursday 21st May 2015, 09:40   #16
West End Birder

Interesting thread - until Monday I would have said an Osprey by the side of the A32 having just fished at a Trout Farm.

On Monday just east of the Rownhams Services a Hobby flew over the road (probably not as rare as Osprey I admit) but then a few miles down the road I am fairly sure a female type Golden Oriole flew across - medium sized bird with rounded wings, yellowy greenish, difficult to know what else it could have been (def not Green Woodpecker and also I was not on anything).

Would be a year tick and a Hants lifer (my 250th) but suppose I cannot count that!

Rob

Last edited by West End Birder : Thursday 21st May 2015 at 10:09.
Old Thursday 21st May 2015, 13:42   #17
stuartvine

Egyptian Vulture in eastern Crete - fortunately I was the passenger as I tried to do an owl impression following the bird as it flew over the car. Scariest was also in Crete, a Griffon Vulture suddenly appearing over the cliff edge on a hairpin bend right in front of us. Methinks it was trying to get us to drive straight over the 300m drop.
Old Thursday 21st May 2015, 20:03   #18
paul Robinson

Great Bustard out of the window of the bus in Spain was a good tick. 2 Cattle egrets in Wexford both sitting on cows was a nice find - took a second for the penny to drop befroe hitting the brakes!
Paul
Old Thursday 21st May 2015, 20:17   #19
pratincol

Driving east on the road from Ourzazate,Morocco a few years ago I saw a large bird of prey perched on top of a telegraph pole.
I drove on a 100 yards or so, stopped the car,then tried to work out what it was.
It turned out to be a Bonelli's Eagle which stayed still long enough to properly identify it.
I have never seen one since and doubt I ever will!
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 10:41   #20
Warixenjalka

In Finland: Northern Hawk Owl. Otherwise: Griffon Vulture at Andalucia.
Last lifer: Pied Bushchat #439, WP ticks: 329, Finnish ticks: 269, Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 407 (Pied Bushchat)
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 11:12   #21
Jane Turner

My best was having a big lanky pied woodpecker with a large white rump go low in front of the car when driving through the Pyrenees I'd managed to avoid knowing that there were white-backed woodies there.

Otherwise I think the best whilst (and a rather rapid emergency stop) was a Yellow-browed Warbler. It would have been a cattle egret this year, but the bird was gone when I managed to get back to where I'd seen it (and so nagging doubts about a badly seen white Runner Duck remain.

Last Cheshire Pied Wheatear (313) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden [b]Water Rail/B] (213), last Self-found Blyth's Reed Warbler (297)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 12:37   #22
David Ferguson

Two Corncrakes wandering along the side of a back road in Bulgaria who strolled into the undergrowth before I could grab my camera and 3 Verreaux's Eagles at a roadkill in Zimbabwe.
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 14:07   #23
Welsh Peregrine

Stopping the car to watch a melanistic Montagu's Harrier in Spain, and finding I've parked next to a visible pair of Quail.
Old Friday 22nd May 2015, 22:24   #24
larksong

Haven't seen many rare birds.... Pileated woodpecker maybe.
Old Sunday 24th May 2015, 19:31   #25
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Wasn't the first Black Lark for Sweden found by someone driving at the time? There is a Birding World write up. My memory may be playing tricks.

All the best
Just found and re-read the write up. Birding World Vol. 6 No. 5 page 189. A great write up that bore re-reading. He was on his way to work, driving and giving someone a lift yet still picked up the bird in flight, identified it, photographed it and still got him and his passenger to work in time. Quite remarkable.

All the best

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: