• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Grafham Water 16 Jan Peregrine bringing some excitement to the quiet reservoir, fairly sure the Green-winged Teal is no longer present and a red (right leg) and silver (left leg) ringed Caspian Gull Imm/2nd w (?) the only other bird of note.

Grafham Water 23/24 Jan. Just the @10 Goosanders of interest and a pair of Pintails today. Awful gull roost today with the shimmer over the water. Surprised to see 5+ large bats at dusk, certainly not that warm watching the gulls.

2nd-winter Franklin's Gull in the Ferry Lagoon roost, Fen Drayton Lakes from 4.40pm onwards.

Just the second county record.

Good record GWB ! I'll take a chance on Grafham roost tomorrow, I'll assume the bird would roost with the BHGs so the dam would be a better bet!! A good few hang around off Mander in the afternoon though . Been a very long time since seeing Franklin's up in the NE in the 80's /early 90's I think.....

Grafham Water 31 Jan all afternoon looking at BhG's in case the Franklin's was in the area. Gull roost watched from the lagoons headland so massive numbers watched flying in until dusk . Nothing obvious in dire conditions just the regular white BhG! a different bird in Herts possibly?

Looks like the Herts Franklin's Gull was the Cambs bird after-all. Perhaps not as unusual a movement as it might seem, as the first Laughing Gull at Grafham Water was relocated a couple of days later at Amwell too.

Of course, it could pop-up again in Cambs at anytime, and it would be a dream to see it at Grafham Water (the species I have spent many a cold roost dreaming about....)

I hope people have been checking Grafham for the reported American Herring Gull. Can't be that far as the big gulls fly? Saturday .....

Grafham water 6 Feb very difficult roost in very strong winds certainly no obvious odd Herring Gulls to me at least. Water now high so no mud around the edges. Overall very few birds present....

Grafham Water 14 Feb Great Skua straight through westwards at 12:30 Little else of interest at the moment in fact devoid of birds until the gulls arrive. A few Goosanders and Goldeneye still

Watched a flock of over 30 RedKites feeding just off the A1 in Peterborough. Most I had seen before were 5. No camera sadly. Would have had some wonderful photos otherwise :(

Where exactly please, I've noticed them congregating nearer to Sawtry recently, also increased numbers around Grafham.

I was on Haddon Road, PE7 3TN/New Road just before it runs along the A1M - looked like someone had put food down at the back of some industrial buildings.

Last edited:
Grafham Water. 27 Feb late pm. Very difficult conditions at the gull roost in NE wind. Missed Iceland gull and a reported Great Northern Diver suppressed it seems all day nearby near my village???

Grafham Water 9 April am : back from NSW so back to reality. Red-necked Grebe has hung on thankfully, looking for a mate maybe? A few around I think. Nice to see a couple of Avocets and calling Cetti's in the lagoons. A Green Sandpiper, Redshank and 3 Oystercatchers (1 ringed - no. readable in photo)

Have had to set up a new Flickr link as Flickr seems to have Flicked up while I was away! May try Pbase for a change?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140874789@N04/albums/72157664662036243

Grafham Water 10 April. A pair of Common Scoters all day anchored firmly in the middle off the dam. 2 Yellow wagtails & 3 White wagtails this morning. Red necked Grebe still off dam.

Grafham Water 16 April. briefly mid morning At least 5 Little Gulls off the dam with Black-headed and Common Gulls and Common Terns. 3 Arctic Terns off fishing lodge. Grey wagtail on the dam.

Grafham Water 22 April evening on dam. Grasshopper Warbler near Marlow car park cafe. At least 11 Yellow Wagtails on the dam. Red-necked Grebe still off south end of dam and still single among the displaying Great-crested Grebes,

Grafham Water 23 April Red-necked Grebe off dam still. 25 Yellow Wagtails 'Dudney fields' and 10 on the dam. No evidence of any Wood Warblers in Littless Wood; Nuthatches calling well. A few Swifts too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back