• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October 2015 in Australia (1 Viewer)

khalifa.amin

Hi All,

I live in California and will be traveling to Berry, south of Sydney, next October to visit my brother and wanted some suggestions on where you would travel to if you had two weeks and were an avid bird photographer. I've heard that O'Neils is a must and will require a flight from Sydney to Brisbane. Colorful birds are a higher priority than just seeing as many as possible. I have visited Australia twice before, but those were before my interest in birds blossomed.

Amin

O'Reilly's is probably what you mean. That is an eco-resort 2-3 hours drive SW of Brisbane. It is a great place for birds, including some startlingly coloured species, such as the regent bowerbird and rufous fantail. Many of the birds will allow you very good opportunities for photography. I have been there 4 times, twice to stay and twice on day trips from Brisbane. Accommodation is expensive, but I think that it is an investment worth making. There is also a camp site.

Amin,
If you are staying in Berry, you could take a trip to Sydney and visit Featherdale Wildlife Park.
The Park has a highly acclaimed bird collection and breeding program.
You will get the chance to see some natives that would be otherwise be difficult to see.
Taronga Zoo also has a good collection of both native and exotic birds.
The trip from Berry takes about two hours (or 1 if you drive like my daughter :) )

Best regards,
AlexB

Around Berry I'd suggest visiting the following places are good for a walk and good chances of seeing many birds (and local wildlife):

- Minnamurra Rainforest Centre (go early as this place can be very popular)
- Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
- Carrington Falls, Fitzroy Falls, Belmore Falls (waterfalls are great after rain too)
- Kangaroo Valley
- Shoalhaven Heads (if you want to see shorebirds)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back