• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male/female symbols on the keyboard (1 Viewer)

felthad

Otis
Is there a way to write male or female on the keyboard, perhaps as one the hidden charictors and scientific symbols accessed with a hold down key combination?

felthad said:
Is there a way to write male or female on the keyboard, perhaps as one the hidden charictors and scientific symbols accessed with a hold down key combination?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male - male symbol: (Unicode: U+2642)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female - female symbol: (Unicode: U+2640)
I tried them in Word: type 2640 then hold Alt button while pressing the += button and still holding Alt down press x, no spaces in between.

Last edited:
RecoveringScot said:
In Word ALT + 9792 and ALT + 9794. Hold the ALT key down when typing the numbers.

However this may not copy successfully to posts on this forum.

Cheers,
The "NumLock" needs to be on for this to work. It can be easier on a laptop (in MS Word, at least) to use "Insert Symbol" and choose from the two symbols available in the "normal text" selection.

Last edited:
scampo said:
The "NumLock" needs to be on for this to work. It can be easier on a laptop (in MS Word, at least) to use "Insert Symbol" and choose from the two symbols available in the "normal text" selection.

Thanks for pointing that out. I keep Number Lock on all the time since I prefer to use the right-hand number pad, so was unaware of that.

Cheers,

scampo said:
It can be easier on a laptop (in MS Word, at least) to use "Insert Symbol" and choose from the two symbols available in the "normal text" selection.

My desktop Word normal text does not have these symbols. Maybe they are just too infrequently used to feature in the list. Neither does Arial font.

It looks as if the ALT key in some way or other has to be used.

(2640 and 2642 or 9792 and 9794 were the numbers, what are 2641 or 9793? The gay/lesbian symbols or android or that word for a person of both sexes that I can't remember?)

Last edited:
scampo said:

Then copy/paste ♂ Bingo!

Wickham said:
My desktop Word normal text does not have these symbols. Maybe they are just too infrequently used to feature in the list. Neither does Arial font.

It looks as if the ALT key in some way or other has to be used.

(2640 and 2642 or 9792 and 9794 were the numbers, what are 2641 or 9793? The gay/lesbian symbols or android or that word for a person of both sexes that I can't remember?)
That's odd - it's definitely in the (normal text) selection - I'm not sure how it can be on mine and not yours!

There is also a programe called Character Map on most? computers: Accessories>System Tools

You can select both from that too. Creat a shortcut to the desktop for ease of use.

Attachments

• character map.jpg
    character map.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
steve_nova said:
There is also a programe called Character Map on most? computers: Accessories>System Tools

You can select both from that too. Creat a shortcut to the desktop for ease of use.
♂ Thanks, Steve, that's obviously the way for me.
Ken

scampo said:
That's odd - it's definitely in the (normal text) selection - I'm not sure how it can be on mine and not yours!

I've got Word 2002 which may be out of date now.

Just a thought. By the time you've gone through these processes, isn't it easier simply to write 'male' or 'female'?

(Or, and this is even easier, 'm' and 'f'.)

David FG said:
Just a thought. By the time you've gone through these processes, isn't it easier simply to write 'male' or 'female'?

(Or, and this is even easier, 'm' and 'f'.)

Far too logical, let them play :))

Hi Mick,

The female symbol is like a hand-mirror, used by the fff's to adjust hair, put on make-up, etc., the male symbol is like, well, err, ... a phallus.

No, No - the female symbol is like a frying pan fffs use to beat the living daylights out of rude spouses.

Why not add them to autocorrect in Word

(f) ♀
(m) ♂

Then when you type (m) or (f) it will change to the symbol automatically.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back