• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 8x42 and 10x42 evaluations and review (1 Viewer)

In my pair of ED2 8x43 I looked at a branch against an overcast sky and saw a red outline on the left side of the branch. What is that?

Also, when looking with the sun behind my back and a piece of chrome reflecting the sun there would be a crescent of white on the bottom half of the view ruining half of the contrast. Is this normal? I ask because I don't remember noticing this before or the red outline.

Could it be that education here is enabling me to notice imperfections that once were invisible to me?

Last edited:
In my pair of ED2 8x43 I looked at a branch against an overcast sky and saw a red outline on the left side of the branch. What is that?

Also, when looking with the sun behind my back and a piece of chrome reflecting the sun there would be a crescent of white on the bottom half of the view ruining half of the contrast. Is this normal? I ask because I don't remember noticing this before or the red outline.

Could it be that education here is enabling me to notice imperfections that once were invisible to me?

That color sounds like a little lateral CA. I suspect your eyes aren't quote aren't quite centered. Check your bins have the correct IPD and are centered on your eyes.

Same with the veiling glare crescents: move the bin in the direction of the crescents to center the eyes.

Depending on your face shape, wearing bifocals and how you hold bins you might find you hold the bins slightly above the optical axis of your eyes.

Thanks Kevin. I know i've read that before, somewhere, now that you mention it. :flyaway:

Attachments

• Smiley with binoculars 2.png
    Smiley with binoculars 2.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 4,774
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back