• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD 8x42 - Some thoughts. (1 Viewer)

It’s a really nice binocular. I couldn’t quite bear to part with it when I got some Swaros so it’s my in car and family holiday binocular and it’s always great. The swaros are much smaller so I prefer them when I’m also carrying a scope and camera. 42s on top of those give me neck ache but they are great bins and the difference in quality from the Swaros isn’t that great in normal usage

Here is my attempt. Canon Mirrorless System, RF 35 1.8 lens, 35 mm, 1/5 sec, F2.0, ISO 100. On a tripod.

Attachments

• 6Z3A7694.jpg
    6Z3A7694.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Just wanted to provide a little update. I bought a Maven B5 15x56 and was really impressed with them. In an effort to keep things consistent, I tried a Maven B1.2 8x42 and compared them to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. My expectations were that the apparent field of view difference would be noticeable, and I expected cleaner colors, and everything else largely similar which would then lead to me let go of the conquests.

I spent the weekend comparing the B1.2 8x42 and the Conquest 8x42. Long story short - I returned the Mavens today. The colors were largely similar between the two - slightly cooler with a subtle blue/green bias in both - maybe a hint less with the mavens. The gold standard reference glass for this for me are my other Maven B5 15x56 with the fluorite glass coupled with AK prisms - colors are just dead neutral and bright. Back to the 8x42's, the field of view was wider with the Mavens, as was the AFOV. I thought this would win me over to keep the Mavens but it didn't. Here is where things started to slip - the eye cups on the mavens are similar to the Meopta Meopro Air series - clunky and uncomfortable. And here is the big one - contrast. The conquest HD's have some of the best contrast I have seen. While equally sharp, the details just pop more with the conquests which contributes to its snappy focus. When trying to ID birds in the thick bush - I find this attribute is very important and they just work really really well for this. Thin tree branches just popped into the view on the conquests.

Overall, I became more impressed with the conquests. With the extended eye cups they just work great and deliver some of the best views despite some short comings (narrow Fov and AFov).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back