• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Red Oak is this? (1 Viewer)

JDV

This tree is in Tennessee. Its about 105-110 feet tall. My guess is a Pin Oak, but Im just not certain and I cant come to a conclusive decision on what type of red oak it is. Any help would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3480.JPG
    IMG_3480.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3481.JPG
    IMG_3481.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 58
The pics aren't detailed enough to tell - a detailed pic of the underside of a fresh leaf would be the most helpful, if you can get one.

What I can see doesn't look too much like Pin Oak though, the leaves a bit irregular in shape with the lobes pointing forward too much.

This is the best I can do. The really good mature leaves are so high up I cant reach any.

Attachments

• oakleaf.jpg
    oakleaf.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 64
Thanks! The tufts of brown hairs in the vein axils are a good Pin Oak feature, but the lobing doesn't fit well; I suspect it may be a hybrid with Southern Red Oak Quercus falcata, as the leaf shape is about half-way toward that. The only problem with this is that (despite the general promiscuity of red oaks) this hybrid combination doesn't appear to be recorded! I'll ask around a bit among a couple of oak experts I know over the next day or two.

Thanks for the info. I guess thats why I had such difficulty, pardon the pun, "pinning" it down as a Pin Oak. It had all the characteristics, but I wasnt fully satisfied with IDing it as such. Plus its height was a bit more than the average Pin Oak. I measured it about 5-8 years ago and it was 99' at the time. So Im guessing its around 105'-115' now, which is a bit taller than your average Pin Oak. Does the bark in the one pic not help in IDing it? After looking further prior to posting here, I too though Southern Red Oak. But I could never nail it down because of the leaves being so ambiguous. Half of it fell down during a recent storm and I had to clean it up. Some of the bigger branches had at least 50-75 rings on them. Im curious as to what the main trunk will reveal. Im guessing between 125-190 yrs old. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Might I note that in the 11 years Ive owned this property, I have yet to see one acorn from this tree.

That does suggest a hybrid!

I'd doubt the tree is much older than the age of the broken trunk; if the ring count was done from a section cut near the base (just above the break), the tree itself will only be 10-15 years or so older. Unfortunately, forked trunks like this are very prone to breaking - there's a high likelihood that the other half will come down fairly soon now (within the next few years).

Really? The section I counted was perhaps 18" in diameter and the main trunk is about 48"-52" in diameter.

Had this response from one Oak expert:

Your online friend is entirely too frugal with images!

I would want to not only see tops/bottoms of several leaves (with some kind of scale, though maybe those are 6" deck boards under the latest image), but also a branch with leaves clustered on it, closeups of buds, and maybe an historical image of the tree before it was dismembered (if he's got one).

Does he know if it ever has any appreciable fall color? What sort of soils is it growing on (texture, pH range, moisture levels)? Does he know the general plant communities of the area, and the oak species composition thereof? Sometimes, proxy data can point in a good direction.

With no more information than has been given, you are about as close to an answer as might be expected. Both those species (but also quite a few more in the Red Oak group) will be found in the Nashville region, and they likely can all cross with each other.

Really? The section I counted was perhaps 18" in diameter and the main trunk is about 48"-52" in diameter.
If the ring count was done much higher up than where the trunk broke, then yes, it could be much older! I assumed you'd done the ring count near the break :t:

IJust saw your response. I will gather up so more pictures for your Oak expert and hopefully he/she can make a better guess. Ive always been the type to not settle for just the generic name for anything in nature. Probably the number one reason Ive been a bird watcher since I was very young. Thanks again for your help.

Ihope this is enough. I really couldnt find a "before" image other than a winter shot. Also, this tree grows in ditch line where all the water drains during storms.

Attachments

• tere.jpg
    tere.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Actually, I really need to provide a higher rez image to really see deatil. The bird forum really limits the size and this image needs to be much larger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back