• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of July 2010 (1 Viewer)

A few photos from last nights catch, some of them maybe not so common for many of You:

Autographa macrogamma 1 (local, but common here)
Netted Pug- Eupithecia venosata 1
Pale Shining Brown- Polia bombycina 12 (a common species here)
Silurian- Lasionycta imbecilla 1 (local, but common here)
Scarce Brindle- Apamea lateritia 1 (a common species here)

Photos in same order as listed above

Svein B

Attachments

• SB1_1969.JPG
    SB1_1969.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 122
  • SB1_2028.JPG
    SB1_2028.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 136
  • SB1_2049.JPG
    SB1_2049.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 132
  • SB1_2055.JPG
    SB1_2055.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 143
  • SB1_2073.JPG
    SB1_2073.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 140
A stonking night two days ago, brought three lifers to my garden. Varied Coronet, Miller, and Minor Shoulder-knot arrived, along with four Elephant Hawk-moths - by far the most hawk-moths yet. The second best night ever with 90 moths of 42 species.

Good mothing

Attachments

• variedcoronet.jpg
    variedcoronet.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
  • minorshoulder.jpg
    minorshoulder.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 154
  • miller.jpg
    miller.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 155
I kinda got the feel that last night was going to be good!....when I saw c6 Buff Arches flying around the MV125w trap light at mid-night.

I was not disappointed, In the trap this morning.....2 Elephant Hawk Moths,
Eyed Hawk Moth (a life tick for me!, being my fourth 'trapping' year),
Burnished Brass, 2 White Ermine, 1 Buff Ermine, Peach Blossom, Herald,
Scarce silver-lines, 4 Buff Arches, Chinese Character,Clay
plus various Riband Wave, Hearts and Darts,Turnip, plus 2 Wainscotts and several sp etc.

From a 'content' point of view, probably my best night since I've started!
It was good to see that other people also had a good result, even considering that it was 'blowy' from time to time.

cheers

An Amazing catch - I have never heard of Dark Angleshades and Bird-Cherry Ermine - will look them up, well done on getting that lot I.Dd
I have looked up the BC Ermine - what a beauty - is it much slimmer than a white Ermine?

I should have typed Dark Arches, don't know where my head was at the time, sleep deprivation I guess from staying out till 3am with the moths and then spending pretty much the rest of the day working out what I'd caught, still have a lot I can't ID, one or two well patterned and perhaps obvious ones.

The BC Ermines were really diddy.

A good weekend. Friday night saw a new macro added to the garden list. Lilac Beauty hasn't been recorded in this grid square before. I also had some other scarcities such as the second Scarce Silver Lines for the garden and Ethmia dodedea (only recorded for the first time last year and a rare VC moth).

Trying my very old lures today brought a Red-belted Clearwing to the 'cul' lure, which is supposed to attract Large Red-belted. Third for the garden.

White-letter Hairstreaks out in the village today as well.

Attachments

• lilac_beauty_2jul10_800l_3093.jpg
    lilac_beauty_2jul10_800l_3093.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 47
  • scarce_silver-lines_2jul10_800l_3071.jpg
    scarce_silver-lines_2jul10_800l_3071.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 42
  • beautiful_china-mark_2jul10_800l_3052.jpg
    beautiful_china-mark_2jul10_800l_3052.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 37
  • carcina_quercana_2jul10_800p_3078.jpg
    carcina_quercana_2jul10_800p_3078.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 36
  • red-belted_clearwing_4jul10_3096.jpg
    red-belted_clearwing_4jul10_3096.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 40
Hi
I have 4 moths from yesterday I am still struggling to i/d. Number one is a macro and the other 3 I believe are all micros. I have looked on the micro moth i/d thread which I found useful and was able to identify two from it.
Could some one advise the best books for micro's. I have got British Moths and Butterflies by Chris Manley which shows the most commonest micros. My ones for i/d could well be in this book but I cannot see them.

Regards Charlie

Attachments

• JN1C0457.jpg
    JN1C0457.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 51
  • JN1C0469.jpg
    JN1C0469.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 46
  • JN1C0481.jpg
    JN1C0481.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 50
  • JN1C0489.jpg
    JN1C0489.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 39
Hi
I have 4 moths from yesterday I am still struggling to i/d. Number one is a macro and the other 3 I believe are all micros. I have looked on the micro moth i/d thread which I found useful and was able to identify two from it.
Could some one advise the best books for micro's. I have got British Moths and Butterflies by Chris Manley which shows the most commonest micros. My ones for i/d could well be in this book but I cannot see them.

Regards Charlie

#1 looks like Dog's Tooth
#2 is a macro, Marbled Beauty
#3 is a macro, Wormwood Pug

I had a quick hour of trapping last night and provided me with my first Thorn of the year, a September Thorn.

Attachments

• September Thorn 12.jpg
    September Thorn 12.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Septemberthorn 12.jpg
    Septemberthorn 12.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 45
A good night last night despite the wind. My first Elephant Hawkmoths (2) of the year appeared in the trap. A few others of interest:

Coronet - 3
Peppered Moth - 1
Clay - 1
Double-striped Pug - 2
Marbled Beauty (NFY) - 2 (pic) (Can anyone help with the ID of the moth above this Marbled Beauty?)
Scalloped Oak - 1
Least Carpet - 2
Common and Scare Footman. Not the best photo, but when shown together, shows how easy these two are to separate (which I had previously thought was difficult).

I've also included a picture of a Buff Arches caught a couple of days ago, which I never got round to uploading, but seeing as it is such a stunning moth, thought I'd include it today.

Andy.

Attachments

• Elephant Hawkmoth 20100704.JPG
    Elephant Hawkmoth 20100704.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Marbled Beauty 20100704.JPG
    Marbled Beauty 20100704.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Common Footman 20100704.JPG
    Common Footman 20100704.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 54
  • Buff Arches 20100702 (1).JPG
    Buff Arches 20100702 (1).JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Busy weekend so a tad tardy posting my catch from Friday night, the highlights were:

Toadflax Brocade - 3rd one of the year suggesting there might be a local population.
The Flame 3 (NFY)
Least Carpet 6 (NFY)
Endotricha flammealis 2 (NFY)
Treble Borwn-spot 4
Dark Arches 31
Green Oak Tortrix 1 (NFG)
Dwarf Cream Wave 1
Smoky Wainscot 2 (NFY)
Small Blood-vein 1 (NFY)
Light Arches 2 (NFY)
Elephant Hawk-moth 2 - much to my 7 year old sons delight :t:
Scalloped Oak 2 (NFY)
Bright-line Brown-eye 1 (NFY)
Common Footman 1 (NFY)
White Plume-moth 1 (NFY)
Mottled Beauty 1 (NFY)
Large Tabby 1
Orthopygia glaucinalis 1 (NFM probably - I'll do my life-list at some point!!!)
Dun-bar 1 (NFY)
Small Rivulet 1 (NFY and also probably NFM)
Brown Silver-line 1 first in garden this year
Barred Straw 1 (NFY)

47 species in total with a few micros to sort out, grass-moths of three species totalled over 100 individuals.

I had my best ever catch last night, with 198 moths of 35 species ID so far. These included my first Peach Blossom and Sycamore of the year.

I would welcome any help with the identification of three medium size noctuids pictured against a £1 coin

Attachments

• July 4th Moths 1.jpg
    July 4th Moths 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 47
  • July 4th Moths 2.jpg
    July 4th Moths 2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 54
  • July 4th Moths 3.jpg
    July 4th Moths 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 47
Another busy night here too with my second ever Small Ranunculus and a real surprise in the form of a gorgeous Four-spotted. Totally unexpected. Also NFG was Monopis crocicapitella.

The Four-spotted is a real find. I see there have been one or two records in past years from Peterborough so one to watch out for. I know they are at Swaddywell NR a little out of the city area (and in VC32).

BTW I've stuck my latest list (c.500 moths of 80 species) on my blog along with more photos:
http://thenaturalstone.blogspot.com/

Good stuff Brian. There are a few there which would be welcome a few miles further East!

Funnily enough, I had my first Lilac Beauties this year too - despite trapping nightly throughout 2009 I didn't record this species at all. Maybe a good year for them locally? I love thorns and they are stunning moths.

One of my best ever nights on Saturday with over 40 spp., 20 of which were new for the year.
Highlights were a record 10 poplar hawks, my first ever ingrailed clay, and my first recognisable coxcomb prominent. The only previous specimen was very very battered.

Rob

I had a nice trapping session at a chalk downland site near me last night. 71 macro species from one trap was a good haul, that included five lifers. These included Dark Umber, Haworth's Pug and Bordered Sallow. Nice to get two Small Elephant Hawks alongside four of thier larger cousins. Along with the micros we had over 100 species.

Good mothing.

Attachments

• borderedsallow.jpg
    borderedsallow.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 42
  • smallelephant.jpg
    smallelephant.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
  • darkumber.jpg
    darkumber.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I had a good session on Friday night at the London Wetland Centre. Ran two traps, one of which had 83 species identified plus a few still to id., the other had 100 species identified and a few more still to do. Plenty of overlap between the two traps but probably around 120 species in total (maybe more). Highlights in terms of size were 18 Elephant, 2 Small Elephant, 1 Eyed and 1 Lime Hawkmoths but best of all several new site records, some of which are good Surrey records.

Martin

Last edited:
Fantastic amount

These are really something, always wanted to have a go at catching moths and seeing the variety of species on here might just think about again, really enjoyed looking at them, thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back