• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 or similar? (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Does anyone know of a great pair of Binoculars I could get with a magnification of at least 9 preferably 10, and at least 40 field view? I have been saving and hope to get a pair before May this year, because I am going probably going on holiday around that time. My Mum said she'd give me £100, very generous, and I think others would probably give me about £50 in total, I have saved about £150, and I might be able to put some money I raise from getting a paper round towards this. So I think my budget is about £350.

Something that is pretty essiential for a pair too would be just joined lense protectors, so I can keep them on and just flick 'em off when I see something...

Just out of interest Jake, why 10x and not 8x. Warehouse Express still seem to have a few Nikon 10x32 HGs left and these are now just £349. These are top of the range bins and will be as bright as most 10x42s. I should move fast before they sell out though!

There should be some models out there. They will be a bit heavy. 10x36 is enough for me, a compromise. There are very few 9x models, more 8,5 models. I would look at Opticron roof prisms. Try all 10x models, 32-50mm and see which feel comfortable.

If it turns out you don't like them, a trip is a bad time to find out, so buying a week ahead and testing is a good idea. Some stores will exchange to a different model if you decide there is any problem, within a few days.

always worth a look at www.warehouseexpress.com to see what they have on offer.

have been thinking of replacing my old Swift roofprisms (so they can be left at work and get grubby) with a new pair, had a look at some Nikon 10x42 and was very impressed, believe they would be in your budget though can't remember the model, were just under £350.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone,

Hi Andrew, I wouldn't be able to get a deal like that because my B'day isn't 'til April. The reason I say 10x is because I am used to using 10x Binos, and I haven't used anything other than 10x for my 3 years birding.

I did see Nikon 10x42s advertised and I did think that they would be a good pair.

I'd really recommend you go for some pester power and ask for some your present in advance Jake! These are really good bins at as low a price as anything comparable has ever been.

Jake if you can bring your birthday pressies brought forward ,the Nikon HGs are the ones to go for {i,ve got the 10x32].best of luck.

Warehouse Express have various 'Buy now pay later' deals. One is where you pay a deposit and then pay the rest interest free 9 months later. The other is where you pay in smaller installments but have to pay interest. It might not be easy to do if you're under 18 though - maybe talk to the folks!

The reason I'd recommend these bins so much is that I think it's unlikely that anything else of this quality (i.e. comparable with anything else you can buy at any price) will be available at a price like this for quite a while, so it's worth taking the plunge while you still can.

I've just got some Opticron Imagic 10x42 porros, and they are excellent. If moeny is as tight as it seems for you, then i'd recommend these. Why pay all that extra for some bins that will only be marginally better.

How much are these bins? £125 plus postage from Warehouse Express.

Of course, if you really want to spend a load of cash, then i'm sure it'll be easy, but check out what you'll be paying all that extra for - you'll find it probably ain't that much.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back