Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yellowstone Birding Suggestions

Old Tuesday 10th August 2010, 03:19   #1
BodyResults

Yellowstone Birding Suggestions

Hello,

My wife, daughter and I are planning to spend about 5 days in Yellowstone from about Aug 30th through Sept 3rd. We plan to have time for 2 or 3 half day outings dedicated to birding.

I would really appreciate if I could get some suggestions of good places. My wife and I will both have 400mm lenses for photography.

Thanks
Doug

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th August 2010, 14:31   #2
Marys1000

Wow - these forums aren't exactly hopping are they? I'm going the 18th and have the same questions. Although actually people are telling me that to bird I should go down to Jackson and the Grand Tetons. I don't want to spend all my time in the car but.....
Good luck,
If you see this and post on your trip it could help me........
Old Friday 27th August 2010, 15:38   #3
BodyResults

Hi Mary,

I think I found the definitive source. There's a book called Birds of Yellowstone written by the park Ornithologist, Terry McEneaney. In the book he talks about all the different habitat zones in the park, migrations patterns and lists the top 74 birding areas along with what you can expect to find in those areas. He also has a map of all those points and shows 5 circles within the map of suggested intensive birding areas encompassing many of the 74 spots. The book also has a several page chart showing all the bird identified in the park, time of year to find them, how easy they are and other info.

My library had this book and I'll be taking it with me.

Good luck
Doug

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: