• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (1 Viewer)

Today I saw redwings, teal, tufted ducks, a heron, long-tailed tits, various gulls, a cormorant plus the usual wildfowl at Lower Bittell.

At Earlswood I saw mist. Couldn't even see the water! Typical. I get some time off, and the elements conspire to make photography impossible.

had a look for that black redstart earlier todey. thanks to heavy traffic i couldnt hear a bloody thing! went on to sandwell valley which was quite pleasant even though it was pretty foggy. highlight of the day were 7 goosanders.

Duck_Pond said:
Today I saw redwings, teal, tufted ducks, a heron, long-tailed tits, various gulls, a cormorant plus the usual wildfowl at Lower Bittell.

At Earlswood I saw mist. Couldn't even see the water! Typical. I get some time off, and the elements conspire to make photography impossible.
Hi Duckpond,
I sometimes pop along to Earlswood Lakes but never see much there which is dissapointing considering it is a large expanse of water.Do you know if anything good is ever spotted there?

Max.

senatore said:
Hi Duckpond,
I sometimes pop along to Earlswood Lakes but never see much there which is dissapointing considering it is a large expanse of water.Do you know if anything good is ever spotted there?

Max.

Arctic Tern, Red Rumped Swallow, Black Tern, Hobby, Peregrine, Wood Warbler......... the list goes on.

Join Warwickbirds have a search through the archives for Earlswood Lakes.

I popped down to Upton Warren today, and despite the mist, managed to see a bittern, some water rail and the kingfisher. Just trying to clear up the photos of them now to add to my gallery...

Thanks to a fellow twitcher, I got to hear a Cetti's Warbler, but not see it.

There were also cormorant, redwings, blue / great / long-tailed tits, dunnocks, wrens, robins, a pheasant, coots, moorhens, mallards, pochards, tufted ducks and lots and lots of mist!

As for Earlswood, in my experience I have seen: gc grebes, gulls (a variety), pied wagtails, herons, buzzards, gs woodpeckers, tree creepers, nuthatches, mallards, moorhens, coots, cormorants, wrens, robins, blue / great / longtailed tits, canada geese, kestrels, sparrow hawks, various finches...

It's good, away from weekends with all the blasted dog-walkers, as there is a decent amount of woodland around the lakes, especially Terry's Pool, at the back. And there's a proper wood nearby too, which is good to explore, though again, during the week, as it's very popular with families etc.

Duck_Pond said:
I popped down to Upton Warren today, and despite the mist, managed to see a bittern, some water rail and the kingfisher. Just trying to clear up the photos of them now to add to my gallery...

Thanks to a fellow twitcher, I got to hear a Cetti's Warbler, but not see it.

There were also cormorant, redwings, blue / great / long-tailed tits, dunnocks, wrens, robins, a pheasant, coots, moorhens, mallards, pochards, tufted ducks and lots and lots of mist!

As for Earlswood, in my experience I have seen: gc grebes, gulls (a variety), pied wagtails, herons, buzzards, gs woodpeckers, tree creepers, nuthatches, mallards, moorhens, coots, cormorants, wrens, robins, blue / great / longtailed tits, canada geese, kestrels, sparrow hawks, various finches...

It's good, away from weekends with all the blasted dog-walkers, as there is a decent amount of woodland around the lakes, especially Terry's Pool, at the back. And there's a proper wood nearby too, which is good to explore, though again, during the week, as it's very popular with families etc.

Congrats on the Bittern Duckpond! Please post a piccy of it on here if you can. Out of interest what hide did you see it from, was it showing well?

I've really enjoyed watching the water rails there, stunning views from the hides. Have heard Cetti's there also (also pointed out by another birder) but not spotted yet.

Regards Cuckoo Bank - the map on that website is accurate but you still need to refer to an A-Z I would suggest (or any other detailed map) as I find Cannock area very hard to navigate and I quickly get lost.

There are a few access points but none are clearly marked even when you are there. Its a large area to walk but I park on the grass verge by the road just north of the traffic island below point 31 on the map. All it is is a pull over on grass, but the kerb is dropped for just long enough to drive your car up onto the grass. Walk ten yards back along the road and there is an obvious footpath between the fence to take. Follow this straight hedgelined footpath for a couple of hundred yards, then follow the path to the leftish (not right that takes you away). You come to top fields, but its all wet underfoot. A bleak, cold area, just try to get yourself up onto the elevated bank area to get a panoramic field of view. There is a tall mast presumably for transmission purposes - I stand about 100 yards up from this and scan the fields. Thats where I saw the grey partridges in 2 flocks (which may have been the same flock twice come to think of it, so maybe there was only about fifteen). They are quite mobile and melt into the ground when flushed.

Overall its a difficlut area to birdwatch, with very few access points with very few parking places obvioulsy available nearby. If you find my spot on the map its as good as any, but if you have a nice posh motor you may not fancy leaving it on a gras verge.

Reported yesterday in our area :-

Glaucus Gull at Bartley Res.

2 Chiffchaff plus a Siberian and a Scandinavian Chiffchaff at Kempsey SW.

Max.

Reported yesterday in our area:-

Gargany at Lower Bittell Res.

Siberian Chiffchaff at Kempsey SW.

3 Yellow Legged Gulls at Bartley Res.

Max.

k_star - we saw it from the Moors Pool hide on the main road side (the elevated one). The pic is attached (also in my gallery).

I was actually about to leave, but spotted a large brown wing out of the corner of my eye, and then with the help of the other chap, we located it.

Attachments

• Bittern.jpg
    Bittern.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 172
Nice pic. Duckpond.

Reported yesterday in our area:-

2 Chiffchaff + Siberian Chiffchaff at Kempsey SW.

Caspian Gull and Yellow Legged Gull at Lea Marston and Coton Lakes.

Glaucus Gull and 3 Yellow Legged Gulls at Bartley Res.

9 Goosander at Lower Bittell Res.

Max.

Spent a good 90 mins (ish) at Draycote yesterday

Highlights were:
Great Northern Diver (some good pics of it by Steve Seal somewhere on Surfbirds)
12 Goosander (5 male, 7 female)
Just one Little Grebe
Grey Wagtail

Sam

Reported yesterday :-

Glaucus Gull seen again at Bartley Res.

Gt. Northern Diver(see above) and Yellow Legged Gull at Draycote Water.

The Chiffchaffs incl. Siberian and Scandinavian still at Kempsey SW.Chiffchaffs also seen at Lower Moor SW.

Garganey seen again at Lower Bittell Res.

Max.

Draycote water:
Great northern diver (1 poss. 2), Great skua (last two days), Caspian gull (3 adults), Yellow-legged gull (5 adults), Little gull (1 juv).

Seen in our area yesterday :-

For Draycote Water see Gareth's post above.

Y/L Gull ,2 Little Egrets and Goosander at Westwood Pool.

Black Redstart at Holt Grange.

2 Siberian Chiffchaff at Kempsey SW.

Glaucus Gull at Bartley Res.

3 Mandarin Ducks at Spechley Park.

15 Lesser Redpolls,3 Siskins and a Willow Tit at Packhorse Bridge in Hampton in Arden.

Jack Snipe at Clifton Pits.

Max.

Anyone else been to Kempsey for the Siberian Chiffchaffs? Over past few days 3 nominate, 2 Siberian and a scandinavian chiffcahff have been reported from there. 2 of the nominates and one Siberian have been ringed three days ago.

I went today, saw 3 birds, I think 2 were Siberian Chiffchaffs but not totally sure. They were unringed and looked right plummage wise. A 3rd bird had 4 colour rings on its legs - pink and blue on the left leg, silver and orange on the right leg. Anyone else see this bird? Can you confirm sub-species of this bird? I think it was nominate as it looked slightly more greenish.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back