• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (62 Viewers)

Crofty at Flashes this evening....1st and 2nd summer Med Gulls . 1st summer Common Gull. Avocet 36. .
Throughout the day
Shoveler 6. gadwall 4. Shelduck 6.
Tufted 6. water rail 2. little egret.
LRP 2. Snipe 2. Common sand 3. lapwing 14 .
Whitethroat. Sedge w 5. Kestrel. Raven feeding young.
hirundines 50.

Moors :
GCG 2. little grebe 6 . shoveler 8. gadwall 4. Shelduck 2. oystercatchers 4. Snipe. Avocet 6.
hirundines 250-300. sedge warbler 4.

36 Avocet is a new record count of adult birds, surpassing the 34 recorded last year. I am assuming the six at the Moors Pool were a duplication John?

JTB reports from the Flashes:

Whimbrel flew through west, Avocet 34, LRP 4, Oystercatcher 4, Common Sandpiper 2, Swift as per Andy Pitt

Dave J reports from the Moors Pool:

16 Avocets (from the Flashes), female Redstart (along north end of west track and also A48 field hedge), Swift, Nuthatch, 3 Reed Warbler, 11 Sedge Warbler, Snipe, Whitethroat

Last edited:
JTB further reports from the Flashes:

Lapwing 14, Shoveler 4, Shelduck 6, Little Egret, Med Gull 2nd summer, Water Rail, Raven 2, Sedge Warbler 5, Whitethroat.

a few from today

nice day quiet but mostly sunny.

Attachments

• DSC02550.jpg
    DSC02550.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02573.jpg
    DSC02573.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02614.JPG
    DSC02614.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 169
Dave J reports from the Flashes:

36 Avocets, Little Egret, Med Gull (1s), 2 Common Sandpipers, 3 LRP, Whitethroat.

Also an interesting first calendar year large gull. Initially thought to be a Caspian, but in flight dark underwing and showed faint window; also a pale mantle. Possibly Yellow-legged? I will attach any pictures Dave posts on Twitter.

Last edited:
At the Moors Pool Dave J recorded:

2 Yellow Wagtails, Mediterranean Gull (1s from Flashes), Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, 3 Reed Warbler

just an hour on the flashes this evening,Hen brook area very busy 2 cetti's calling either side of hide possible female turned up with a sub call after male called,kingfisher flying up and down brook,Blackcap, Chiffchaff quiet visable,Sedge warbler heard plus swallow, house and sand martin. Coot,Morhen and Water rail seen in the channels from the hide. With all the photos of the water rail is it just one bird or more can we tell?

Had a brilliant afternoon's birding today - saw four lifers (Little Grebe, Sand Martin, Sedge Warbler and Linnet), and had my best ever view of a Water Rail at the Hen Brook.

Thank you to everyone who gave me tips on where to look :)

Nicky

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    794.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    732.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 145.jpg
    145.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 99
Make that five lifers - I took a video today of a small brown bird making a really loud alarm call (it was out of sight in the middle of a hedge at the Moors) - I have just been told by a 'proper birder' listening to it, that it was a Reed Warbler :)

I just need to catch sight of a Cetti's now, instead of just hearing them ...

From yesterday afternoon JTB reports:

Moors Pool
Little Grebe 6, Little Egret, Shoveler 6, Gadwall 6, Teal 2 (pair), Oystercatcher 4, Lapwing 2, Mistle Thrush 3, Lesser Whitethroat.

Flashes
Shoveler 4, Shelduck 6, Water Rail, Avocet 34, LRP 6, Common Sand 2, Med Gull 2 (1st & 2nd summers), Raven 2.
Also 2 Yellow Wagtail as per John Oates.

Last edited:
just an hour on the flashes this evening,Hen brook area very busy 2 cetti's calling either side of hide possible female turned up with a sub call after male called,kingfisher flying up and down brook,Blackcap, Chiffchaff quiet visable,Sedge warbler heard plus swallow, house and sand martin. Coot,Morhen and Water rail seen in the channels from the hide. With all the photos of the water rail is it just one bird or more can we tell?
No Tim two birds male giving food to female yesterday:t:

36 Avocets, Little Egret, Med Gull (1s), 2 Common Sandpipers, 3 LRP, Whitethroat.

Also an interesting first calendar year large gull. Initially thought to be a Caspian, but in flight dark underwing and showed faint window; also a pale mantle. Possibly Yellow-legged? I will attach any pictures Dave posts on Twitter.

There is a 2CY Yellow-legged (i.e. primarily first winter) knocking about Earlswood Lakes (warks), been present since last winter. It's infrequent at the moment and is likely to be wandering about other sites.

Last edited:

34 Avocets, 3 Common Sandpipers, 6 LRP, Mediterranean Gull (1s), Yellow Wagtail ➡N, Lesser Whitethroat

Monday 26th April 1500-1700

Little change from Dave J's report earlier in the day:

34+ Avocet, 6 LRP, 3 Common Sandpiper, 2 Oystercatcher (bird sitting in the sewage meadow), 3 Shelduck, 4 Gadwall, 4 Shoveler, 10 Tufted Duck, Buzzard, Kestrel (ringed), Lesser Whitethroat singing in hedge south of the hide, 2 Willow Warbler singing around the steps (Goldcrest in same area)

Mike W had a Common Tern in the evening at the Moors Pool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back