• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another day in the Prairie of E. Colorado (1 Viewer)

oldsquaw

Old Tooter
Yesterday I had a meeting in a small town in e. Central Colorado. Here are a few highlights.

The meeting was at a local farm, there mockingbirds were singing (mimicking), a Say's Phoebe was on territory and Western Kingbirds were chasing each other around the property.

later I went to the local town, Limon, an walked their small nature trail around a wetland mitigation bank.. On the ponds were three Eared Grebes, Blue & Green-winged Teal, three White-faced Ibis, and some Ruddy Ducks. Numerous Yellow-headed & Red-winged Blackbirds, several Great-tailed Grackes, and a Common Yellowthroat were nesting in the bulrush. Along the mudflats were Killdeer, a Spotted Sandpiper and A Wilson's Phalarope. 50+ pair of Cliff Swallows were nesting under a box culvert.

On the drive back through the short-grass prairie I observed Ferruginous, Red-tailed and Swainson's Hawks, a Mountain Plover, hundreds of Lark Bunting (Colorado's state bird), Cassin's & Lark Sparrows and Common Nighthawks.

On an irrigation reservoir, I had Cinnamon Teal, No. Shoveler, several Black-necked Stilt, and several Ring-billed Gulls.

The surprize of the day was watching and photographing a bull snake eating the eggs of a Western Meadowlark nest.

Van:hi:

Van, you have the best times while out working! I'm envious!!

I used to work a territory of west-central and NW Ohio for the American Red Cross -- and our schedules were always so tight that there never was time to stop and hear/see birds, unfortunately. I'd make the occasional stop at Grand Lake St. Marys and catch some ducks or cormorants, but the pressure was always on to keep moving!

Seeing the bull snake would have been very cool - although I'd be mourning for the meadowlark.

And you're getting to see Lark Sparrows regularly! AGain, I've envious -- I've only ever seen one, rather way out of range and it was GORGEOUS!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back