• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite (1 Viewer)

Huck&Ebb

For those that have used them how do you rate them optically as opposed to the Zen ED's or the Vortex Razor. I have a chance to get these for around 500 and was looking for some feedback thanks. 10X43

I have never used the 10x43 version but I did own one of the 8x43s and had the chance to sample two other 8x43 units in recent years. Kevin P. can correct me on some of this as I know he has both on hand.....

Last month I looked at one of the 8x43 Elites at the local Cabelas. They had it on clearance for $499. I was comparing it, at the time, with the 8x32 Meopta Meostar. What immediately jumped out at me when I made the comparison was how much field curvature the Elite had in the image. I don't think I ever would have noticed it if I had been comparing it to something else but in direct comparison with a bin that has excellent field flatness and edge performance the Elite's performance in these areas was immediately noticeable.

Going back to my earlier experiences with the Elite I thought the image was brighter than average with a decent "sweet spot". Apparent sharpness was "ok" but not great. I do not remember CA control being an issue but I don't remember it being a strongpoint either.

I do have very positive memories of the physical package these optics come in. The body was just the right size and, overall, I thought it was probably the most attractive binocular I have ever owned (that includes some Swaros, Leicas, etc...)

Comparing it to the Zen Ray should reveal some immediate differences. (assuming the 8x in my case). The field of view is wider on the ZR. The color fringing control is better in the ZR and I would be willing to bet that the image is brighter in the ZR.

I feel that the "physical package" difference though would favor the Elite. It is more compact, lighter and just a "prettier" looking binocular.

It would be up to you as to what your priorities are. Either has better than average optical performance. The Elite's optics are in a more compact, lightweight package. The ZR's body is longer and heavier but there is no question in my mind that the overall optical performance is better.

Bushnell quality is all over the place. But it goes up with the price, though some cheaper porros might be well built too. This is one of the better models, have only seen it once used by a birder here.

I was underwhelmed by the Elite my Pentax 10x43 ED's were much brighter and sharper in the same configuration! Though the Elites were comfortable to hold I thought there optics were lacking in respect to price! That was quite awhile ago!!! For $500 I would buy them well worth that. Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back