• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head suggestions for Celestron Regal M2 100 ED birding scope (2 Viewers)

Intercooler

I guess it's time to buy once and cry once! I have been using an Amazon ball head tripod and it has some big drawbacks using it. I think I want to stay under $500 and get a stable, easy movement and operating setup. I guess something that locks into position easily too inn case you want to throw it over your shoulder or move. I will admit I don't know a ton about them, and most Google searches keep turning up the Vortex Optice High Country II

After you get a new fluid head for your tripod go buy a baader hyperion zoom eyepiece to replace the stock eyepiece that comes with the scope . The eyepiece changes the performance of the scope quite a bit .

Still looking for help on the head. Any suggestion on the eyepeice?
6lb ! My shoulder hurts just thinking about it :). You need to check the design weight capacity of the heads. You need a heavyweight "video/fluid" head. I would also recommend you get one with a pan bar that's at least as long as the rear overhang of the scope. I find it hard to smoothly pan/tilt a big scope with a short pan bar. The Ulanzi one is too short and the Small rig one looks too short, but may be extendible. The Manfrotto ones are ideal.

With such a heavy scope you might need a head with something like an Arca type sliding plate so you can balance the scope so it doesn't tip backwards or forwards when you let go of the pan bar and forget to tighten the tilt lock.

I also prefer an angled pan bar and separate pan and tilt locks, but you need to find out what your own preferences are, preferably at a shop/field day that stocks Manfrotto heads. Take your tripod and scope and try them out. You could then check if your scope is noticeably nose or tail heavy. I don't know where you are in the "North East", or if that's UK, US or someplace else ;-), but if it's UK then In Focus has field days at Hauxley Nature reserve in Northumberland. Others may chip in with "local" dealers.

It's a tough call. I see some use no handle/remove it, some cut them... guess it's preference as to length (Small Rig is adjustable). Good suggestions though. Thanks
6lb ! My shoulder hurts just thinking about it :). You need to check the design weight capacity of the heads. You need a heavyweight "video/fluid" head. I would also recommend you get one with a pan bar that's at least as long as the rear overhang of the scope. I find it hard to smoothly pan/tilt a big scope with a short pan bar. The Ulanzi one is too short and the Small rig one looks too short, but may be extendible. The Manfrotto ones are ideal.

With such a heavy scope you might need a head with something like an Arca type sliding plate so you can balance the scope so it doesn't tip backwards or forwards when you let go of the pan bar and forget to tighten the tilt lock.

I also prefer an angled pan bar and separate pan and tilt locks, but you need to find out what your own preferences are, preferably at a shop/field day that stocks Manfrotto heads. Take your tripod and scope and try them out. You could then check if your scope is noticeably nose or tail heavy. I don't know where you are in the "North East", or if that's UK, US or someplace else ;-), but if it's UK then In Focus has field days at Hauxley Nature reserve in Northumberland. Others may chip in with "local" dealers.

Hi,

the 500AH is the usual recommendation for a full size scope - its weight is 0.9 kg. It has a counterweight of 2.4kg, so a tad less than the 6 pounds you have stated but probably will still work fine. Max weight rating is 8kg.

The 502AH weights 1,7 kg and has a counterweight of 4kg and max weight of 10kg. So it's for the serious stuff...

I would probably take the 500AH even for a 6pound 100mm scope.

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back