• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audubon eye cup (1 Viewer)

socksitis

Please tell me are the eye cups on the swift audubon's model 820 supposed to lock when twisted up? It is starting to drive me to distraction especially on a busy day!

Please tell me are the eye cups on the swift audubon's model 820 supposed to lock when twisted up? It is starting to drive me to distraction especially on a busy day!

You have found the Achilles heel of the Swift Audubon 820. :eek!:

The eye cups to my 820s lock in the down position and the up position. However, they do not lock at all in the positions between down and up. This is very much a pain for me, as I prefer the eye cups twisted up 2/3.

And, as you have found out--they move in that position.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Yup, annoying isn't it? I'm going to try getting one of those plastic strips that are used to seal plastic bottles and see if that will stop the eyecups moving down.

Mine pull straight up and then twist to the left to lock. No problems and no intermediate positions. But I seem to have an early production 820. I think you have the "improved" twist-up eyecups on later 820s. I have read about them on BF but never seen them. Others have made this complaint in the past.

Mine do seem to just twist up, no lock when fully up? I do so wish they did lock up, they are such lovely bins, suited my budget and apart from this niggle I do love them?

A binocular expert, from an on line store, advises o-rings of the right size from the hardware for a nice looking fix. I use bicycle inner tubes cut up into wide rubber bands.

A binocular expert, from an on line store, advises o-rings of the right size from the hardware for a nice looking fix. I use bicycle inner tubes cut up into wide rubber bands.

Great suggestion!

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back