• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls and Shrikes Pakistan (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

The Shrikes were photographed in early September 2016 in Multan - the photos are not the best but which species are they? Photographer thinks Red-Tailed/Turkestan but I am not convinced. Could both be different birds too.

The Gull photos are off 1 bird and quite a stunner. Looks a tad different to the usual Steppe forwarded to me but I assume it will be that? Taken in Karachi last week.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• alishrike1.jpg
    alishrike1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 94
  • alishrike2.jpg
    alishrike2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 83
  • akbargull1.jpg
    akbargull1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 75
  • akbargull2.jpg
    akbargull2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 82
Sorry, I've been meaning to comment on these but it slipped my mind until today.

If both Shrike images show the same individual, which I think they do, it's surely too rufous brown and heavily barred on the upperparts and rump for Turkestan. It's not Brown either, as the primary projection is too long and the tail not graduated. It looks most like one of those tiger-striped juvenile Red-backed. I guess given the location some kind of hybrid can't be ruled out.

The gull does look like heuglini - very mean-looking with an angular head and streaking on the nape, and the bill shape looks right. I'm no expert on large gulls though.

i also have the impression the shrike is a red-backed but can't really prove it apart from ground colour and extensive barring. most of the gulls are steppe gulls but there is at least one which looks very good for a 1cy heuglini, the partly hidden rightmost individual in pic 3. maybe also the flying bird in pic 4.

i also have the impression the shrike is a red-backed but can't really prove it apart from ground colour and extensive barring. most of the gulls are steppe gulls but there is at least one which looks very good for a 1cy heuglini, the partly hidden rightmost individual in pic 3. maybe also the flying bird in pic 4.

Not the subadult at the front of the 1st photo?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back