• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large juvenile Gull - Southern Lake Michigan U.S. (1 Viewer)

chipperatl

I posted this on Whatbird also, and received a single response of possible thayerii. I was about 300-350 yards away at a 40 degree angle from the wall. The wall is about 20 feet wide. I was shooting a 400mm f5.6 for these shots. Two different GBBG in these shots. Gull is on the left of one GBBG, and then to the right of a second GBBG in others. Also a shot of it near other HERGs.

Not sure if a thayerii would size-wise match up this close to a small GBBG, or if it is just a light HERG? Bill seems rather thin. Pics taken on December 8th, 2018. Thank you for any help with this.

Attachments

• _91A7033.jpg
    _91A7033.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 46
  • _91A7045.jpg
    _91A7045.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 24
  • _91A7046.jpg
    _91A7046.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 16
  • _91A7069.jpg
    _91A7069.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 22
  • _91A7084.jpg
    _91A7084.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 24
Strikes me as a Herring Gull with a bill on the smaller side (lots of individual variation, with females tending toward smaller-billed). The primaries look too dark for Thayer's and don't appear to have any pale edging.

Strikes me as a Herring Gull with a bill on the smaller side (lots of individual variation, with females tending toward smaller-billed). The primaries look too dark for Thayer's and don't appear to have any pale edging.

Thank you. I think Occam’s Razor supports this. Dang beefy HERGs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back