• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

COMODO problem (1 Viewer)

I'm wondering if it's something to do with a corrupt log file in event viewer.

Click on the Vista Start button, then in the 'Start Search' box type just three letters: eve

When the windows opens, click event viewer.

Click the little plus sign next to Windows logs. You should now see a list of logs such as: Application, Security, Setup, System and Forwarded Events.

Right click on each of them in turn and choose clear log. Click yes if you are asked.

Reboot after you have finished and let me know if it helps or not.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with a corrupt log file in event viewer.

Click on the Vista Start button, then in the 'Start Search' box type just three letters: eve

When the windows opens, click event viewer.

Click the little plus sign next to Windows logs. You should now see a list of logs such as: Application, Security, Setup, System and Forwarded Events.

Right click on each of them in turn and choose clear log. Click yes if you are asked.

Reboot after you have finished and let me know if it helps or not.

Hi hHward

I did exactly what you said, and yes the icon has gone now

Now another program has popped up instead to do with ATI Graphics

I get an icon box message:

X ATI Graphics

You do not have permission to change
Catalyst@control Centre settings
Contact admin for further help

What is this strange thing that has appeared, is it the corrupt file?

Regards
Kathy

Ok, let's give this a try and see if it helps.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select start if they are running. Set the startup type to automatic. Click apply/ok for each service you enable.

event log
windows management instrumentation
windows management instrumentation driver extensions

Close the services window.

Reboot your system and let me know how it goes.

Ok, let's give this a try and see if it helps.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select start if they are running. Set the startup type to automatic. Click apply/ok for each service you enable.

event log
windows management instrumentation
windows management instrumentation driver extensions

Close the services window.

Reboot your system and let me know how it goes.

Hi Howard

Thank once again for the information

Will continue tomorrow for definate. Feeling tired now so need to sleep. I am sure that you need a sleep too. :cat:

Speak later tomorrow morning if you can make it :t:

Kathy

No problem at all Kathy.

I will see you in the morning.

Sleep well.

hi howard

Goodmorning to you o:)

Thanks I did sleep well and I hope that you did too. :t:

Will work on your instructions form your last post now! ;)

Just to mentioned the ATI graphics icon appeared once more when I logged in this morning. I also noticed that it mentioned that it was 'running' within my list of current programs :eek!:

Regards
Kathy

Hopefully, the instructions will help, but if not, we'll see what else we can do.

Apparently this issue is not uncommon with the ATI CCC

Hi Howard

The ATI icon is still appearing when I log in. I did not realise ATI was a bit of a pain to deal with. The things that we find out. :t:

I have followed your instructions mentioned and this is what I found:

1. Window Event Log - I reset to start once agian and to atutomatic (It did not like what I was doing, it bleeped at me)

Start up Type: Automatic

2. Windows Management Instrumentation - Reset to start again

3. Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extension

I could not find this file at all mmmm....... unless it was under a different name altogether (as Vista likes to do that in style)

Another I did notice was ATI in the listing and it was under

ATI External Event Utility

Not touched this file at the moment in any way just incase it was the wrong thing to do.

Hmmmm wondered about this ATI one that is causing my problem? maybe? :eek!:

Regards
Kathy
x

Ok let's try this and see if it helps.

Taken from HERE.

Originally Posted by fsleeper
Here is what you do:
1. Open your services (Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services)
2. Find the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service
3. Right-Click on it and select "Stop"
(leave this window open)
4. Browse to your System32 Directory (Start->Run. Type "C:\Windows\System32" and click "Ok" button
5. Look for a directory named "wbem"
6. Open this directory (double-click on wbem name)
7. Rename the directory named "Repository" to something like "Repository_OLD" (right click on the "Repository" directory name and select "Rename" and type the new name for the directory and press Enter)
8. Close the window
9. You should be at the Services window again. If not, repeat step 1 to get the services window back open.
10. Find the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service
11. Right-Click on it and select "Start"
12. Reboot

Viola! The error is finally gone....

Please let me know if that helps.

hi Howard.

I followed all of the instructions given, and rebooted the PC

The ATI icon is still there at the moment. Mmmm a difficult little sucker to dispose of. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Mmm, stubborn little thing ain't it?

As a temporary work around for now, please do the following.

Run a HJT scan and fix the following entry(you may need right click HJT and run as admin).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe

Click the fix checked button and then close HJT.

Reboot your system and let me know if that has helped.

Incidentally, is you click THIS link, you will see that this particular issue is very common.

Mmm, stubborn little thing ain't it?

As a temporary work around for now, please do the following.

Run a HJT scan and fix the following entry(you may need right click HJT and run as admin).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe

Click the fix checked button and then close HJT.

Reboot your system and let me know if that has helped.

Incidentally, is you click THIS link, you will see that this particular issue is very common.

hi Howard

The good news is the little sucker is no more :-O:-O

Great news :-O:-O

Using HJT fix facility. Is this the only way to get rid of annoying icons like ATI?

Regards
Kathy

No, not really. This is just a temporary fix that stops the CCC running on startup, until a more permanent fix can be found.

Someone suggested uninstalling the CCC programme and using ATI Tool instead. Apparently ATI tool has more functionality than CCC does. However, since I don't have an ATI card, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info.

No, not really. This is just a temporary fix that stops the CCC running on startup, until a more permanent fix can be found.

Someone suggested uninstalling the CCC programme and using ATI Tool instead. Apparently ATI tool has more functionality than CCC does. However, since I don't have an ATI card, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info.

hi Howard

Okay, ATI - that is interesting to know. As you have mentioned it is a common problem too. There must be a few people who get stuck in the same way.

So now is there anything else I need to do now, or can I safely say my bugs have gone away? ;)

Regards
Kathy

Unless you're having any other problems, you should be good to go.

Please bear in mind my advice about installing and using Firefox, rather than using IE. ;)

Hi Howard

There is one less complex thing I would like to ask here - you have done enough to help me already! I am sure it will mean just turning a tool button of some description on.

Where my start button is on the botton left hand side of my screen, the tool bar has been turn off by a mistake. The tool bar is not showing programs I am using at the moment.

So it is hard to see what programs I have running at the moment (as I use a few Forums)

Where do I turn it on again? Tried different ways but no joy yet?

Thank you once more

Regards
Kathy

Are you talking about the quick launch toolbar?

If so, just right click the taskbar somewhere near the middle and select toolbars/quicklaunch.

Hi Howard

Thank you, I knew it was something little that had to be tweaked.

Could not see it in front of my nose LOL ;)

Thank you soooo much for your assistance here. I really appreciated your patience, time, and your help to get me back on my feet. :t::t::t::-O:-O:-O

Now, I will have a good idea what to do next ime I have a nasty 'bug' other than not opening them (never fallen for that one yet touch wood!)

I will take a print out of this thread too, and keep it amongst my bound PC notes.

Vista is quite a piece of software too - not like the older versions of Microsoft. Takes a little getting used to as all the old fashioned commands names are no more.

Speak again sometime.

Best wishes x
Kathy
x

Kathy,

Sorry I didn't notice your problem earlier. But I thought you should know what caused your original problem:

Comodo's log was telling you that a program was trying to access the internet, and had blocked it. The program in this case was Ask Toolbar; it's called a Browser Helper Object. It's a search extension for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and other Web Browsers.

It wasn't a virus, it's a legitimate program, but it isn't a good idea to let one company know everything you search for on line. Which is what happens every time you search. You may wonder where it came from, well you probably installed it when you installed Comodo. Comodo used to have an affiliation with Ask and would install the toolbar unless you specifically uncheck a box when you install Comodo. Other "free" software also installs the toolbar, and other toolbars, unless you uncheck a box.

For my thoughts on security and firewalls etc, you may want to read here and also the post following.

Of course, what I typed in those posts are only what works for me, and for others who's systems I've setup. But AFAIK, I've never had a virus.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back