• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50-500 zoom lens (1 Viewer)

jontrus

jontrus
I am seriously considering purchasing a sigma 50-500 mm telephoto lense for my olympus E500 camera , much,much cheaper than the olympus version.Does anyone have experience of using such a lense for birding, bearing in mind the fairly heavy weight and the fact of not being able to use a tripod for most shots.Would appreciate some opinions as the lense is still quite pricey at £750 and I dont want to buy unsuitable gear.

jontrus said:
I am seriously considering purchasing a sigma 50-500 mm telephoto lense for my olympus E500 camera , much,much cheaper than the olympus version.Does anyone have experience of using such a lense for birding, bearing in mind the fairly heavy weight and the fact of not being able to use a tripod for most shots.Would appreciate some opinions as the lense is still quite pricey at £750 and I dont want to buy unsuitable gear.

Hi,
I used to use this lens on my Nikon D70 and found it a fantastic lens. It has a max aperture of f6.3 at 500mm and I was told it performed better stopped down to f8 / f11, but obviously the shutter speed drops then.
When using it in Lesvos last year I was able to hand-hold occasionally but the light was fantastic every day there, unlike the UK !!!
I know 2nd hand Canon / Nikon ones go for about £450, but Olympus ones are probably rarer.

50-500mm sigma lens

tufty said:
Hi,
I used to use this lens on my Nikon D70 and found it a fantastic lens. It has a max aperture of f6.3 at 500mm and I was told it performed better stopped down to f8 / f11, but obviously the shutter speed drops then.
When using it in Lesvos last year I was able to hand-hold occasionally but the light was fantastic every day there, unlike the UK !!!
I know 2nd hand Canon / Nikon ones go for about £450, but Olympus ones are probably rarer.
thanks tufty, i am more concerned about the weight really

jontrus said:

hi,

I used this lens until the middle of last year and rated it very highly. However I virtually always used it on a beanbag or tripod, only handholding it for flightshots.

With the cropfactor of the olympus, I think you are looking at an equivalent 100-1000mm lens, and not many people would expect much success from handholding a 100mm lens!

I would say, yes its a good lens but it'll need supporting.

Paul

paul

paul goode said:
hi,

I used this lens until the middle of last year and rated it very highly. However I virtually always used it on a beanbag or tripod, only handholding it for flightshots.

With the cropfactor of the olympus, I think you are looking at an equivalent 100-1000mm lens, and not many people would expect much success from handholding a 100mm lens!

I would say, yes its a good lens but it'll need supporting.

Paul

thanks for your advice paul, i would like a lense that i could also use for planes flight shots but i am not sure now whether this is the one for me !!!

jontrus said:
thanks for your advice paul, i would like a lense that i could also use for planes flight shots but i am not sure now whether this is the one for me !!!

Consider the big T (Tamron 200-500mm) - it's a lot easier to hand-hold than the Sigma.

rezMole said:
Consider the big T (Tamron 200-500mm) - it's a lot easier to hand-hold than the Sigma.

It would be well worth considering if it was available with an Olympus mount.... ;)

Its a shame that the lens choice for the 4/3 mount is a bit limited at the moment because that 2x crop factor is very tempting for bird photography. £750 for a 1000mm lens, not a bad deal.

I think that the 50-500 would be fine for aviation shots, sure I saw somewhere that its the most common lens on flightlines in the states. Never tried with mine because I use a 70-200 at places like Duxford. On panned shots the extra weight I don't think is a problem and for aviation shots you'll be using the shorter end of the lens and so it will be fairly compact. Handholding becomes a problem with static objects.

Paul

Last edited:
The 135-400 should be available soon. I used one for a long time on a D50/70 and it's pretty easy to handhold - no rotating front and not too big and heavy. That would give the equivalent of 800mm which is'nt bad.

jontrus said:
I am seriously considering purchasing a sigma 50-500 mm telephoto lense for my olympus E500 camera
There now talk of an olympus 500mm zoom out soon.It will be on a par with the 150mm zoom so perhaps not extremely expensive

There's a 2x tcon coming out too. Added to the excellent 50-200 f2.8/3.5 that would give the equivalent of 800mm at the long end.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back