• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In the deep mid-winter..... (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Yes it IS me, but don't come too close because I'm suffering from a stinking cold. I've got through the coughing and lung-clearing bit, the sore throat bit, and the no-taste bit, now my nose is running like a tap! Ah well, just another couple of weeks and I'll be fine again.

Meanwhile, I thought that you might like to know about the local Rooks. You may recall that last year we had increased to 5 nests in the mini-Rookery at the end of the Lane. Well, despite some recent strong winds, 4 of them are still there and just within the last few days I've seen birds going to have a look at them; either weighing up what repairs are needed or (quite likely) prospecting for 'pre-owned' nesting material. Yes I know that it's a bit early but to support the theory here are a couple of photos of one of the pairs of Rooks currently coming to feed in the garden. Mostly the mob still come as a mob but now there are distinct pairings sitting up on the wires or in the tree.

Won't be too long now!

Bill

Attachments

• DS rook pr on wire 170109 1.jpg
    DS rook pr on wire 170109 1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DS rook pr on wire 170109 2.jpg
    DS rook pr on wire 170109 2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DS rook pr on wire calling 170109 .jpg
    DS rook pr on wire calling 170109 .jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 23
Sorry to hear about the cold, Bill. I hope you are dosing yourself up with the necessary restorative products! ;)

The rooks around here are beginning to make a lot of fuss in the tree tops, but at the couple of usual sites they are going to have to start again. Let us know of developments.

Hope the cold disappears soon, Bill.

Interesting. I shall keep a close eye on the rooks round here to see what is going on.

Corr! well shot Bill, spesh pic 1.
So sorry to hear about your miserable symptoms Bill, treat yourself to comfort food now your taste buds are working.
Keep warm

Lovely pics Bill.
It must be nice having a rookery nearby so one can watch its development over the weeks. Please keep us informed as to how things are going.

Sorry to hear about the cold, and all its nasty symptoms. The remedy is simple: half a bottle of Single Malt Whisky and you won't even know that you have a cold. lol.
Take good care of yourself.

Baz.

They look as if they could be having a sneeze in pic 3 Bill. Maybe you should stop indoors a bit longer and give Baz's remedy some serious testing. It would be really interesting to have a Rookery nearby. Hope word gets around, and you can let us know when they really get down to business.

They sit in our Oak like that Bill, in pairs. You can tell the males, they sidle along the branch all set for a nice bit of billing & cooing & the other one moves away a bit. Then he does it all over again.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back