• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Duck (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
I would be interested in opinions about this duck on a local pond, it is thought to be a hybrid Mallard X Red Crested Pochard.

Can anyone confirm this or suggest another possiblity.

Rich

Attachments

• altonhybrid7856copylw.jpg
    altonhybrid7856copylw.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 563
Sounds like a good call, its certainly mallard with something, and the colours would confirm RC pochard especially the redness of the bill, shape wise it looks good as well.:t:

How do you figure that one Alan?
I’m not sure I can see any Gadwall features, and that would not explain several features it does have.
I would be interested in all opinions on this bird.

I think the suspected id has been partly based on the bird on this website
http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsi016.htm
Which is certainly similar but not quite the same.

Rich

Interesting one. In the first photo the head and bill struture look like mallard but the wrong colour. In the second photo they definatley look like Red Crested Pochard. Its amazing how differant the head looks in both photos.

Martin

It might be a mallard X rosybill (Netta peposaca) a south american close relative of red crested pochard, that is common in wilfowl collections.
The male has bright red bill, black head and breast, black/brown back and grey/white flanks. The bird in the picture shows similarities to the rosybill except the bill and back are mallard like.

Hope this may be of some help!

I think I see where Alan's coming from on Gadwall - the fine vermiculations on the flanks. Of course, we don't know it's a first generation hybrid ...

Tony

TOny

Thanks for trying to dig me out of a hole!.
Vermiculations?. Is that what they're called?.

Must keep it int mind ta keep mi gob shut int future!.

When i first saw the bird i first thought escaped Rosybill (though i am not that familiar with the species) and dismissed it. There is no sign of the Knob (!) on the bill though?

??

I think Mallard x Red-crested Pochard is the most likely hybrid, the brown on the mantle/scapulars and the shape of the bill and the bill pattern would support RCPochard influence, Rosybill drakes have blackish upperparts.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back