• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30E11 (1 Viewer)

One thing I learnt decades ago after testing with other students was that we are all different, sometimes quite a bit different. For example I could see shades of blue that were dull grey to my mother, we could both see blue, but differently. Similarly our eyes, facial contours and the way our brains interpret what our individual eyes send in electrical impulses will vary. The fact that I find the view through an EII superb and someone else doesn't is probably more down to human genetics than anyone deliberately over hyping a particular binocular.

Over the years I have tried binoculars that have had glowing reviews and found them impossible for myself.
Sadly, however much a binocular costs, or however many glowing reviews exist, until you try it, you will not know if it works for you. Fortunately I have been able to try before I buy and avoided some expensive mistakes.

Fortunately the overlap between individuals is huge enough to accomodate most of us, most of the time, but every now and again our particular individualism will out.

Incidentally my ipd is quite narrow and I find the increased spacial awareness given by porros quite mind blowing, however I have roofs as well as I accept that they are generally less prone to battle damage. Against that I can hold porros more steadily and get a much clearer view, also in my case with the EIIs I don't suffer the blackouts I get with some other bins. Until we all get cloned I'm afraid that we are stuck with this variation.

Iveljay I concur with your post, I particularly like the phrase "spacial awareness" as it is the sense of space between objects which lift a good Porro to a level beyond any roof for me.

I think also many people just are`nt comfortable having old technology hung around their necks.

Obviously you don't really relish balance in a discussion.

Well to bad ;). I'm giving my opinion to help others know that there is another view which wasn't available before I ordered the E2 8x. It may save some others making the same mistake as I did. Information that I previously wish had been available to me.

In fact it was your post stating that the E2 gives an alpha view at a basic price that I now find was perhaps most misleading of all but that's your opinion and this is mine.

Even Albinos (as they overly praise the E2 8x in my opinion, through actual use) mentions the 8x30 M7 as a viable alternative and unfortunately I did not pay enough attention to that.

The E2 I returned. I've still got the 10x30 M7 and think it's really great. Never contemplated returning it. Think that basically speaks for itself but then I'm also enjoying the higher magnification and don't mind to much the difference in dof.

If wide fov and big dof with low magnification and ca and no waterproofing etc is needed then go for the E2 but if you want something else then don't.

Instead consider the 8x30 M7 as recommended by many and Albinos or the 10x30 M7 which I can highly recommend if you like higher mag.

suck it up8-P
I think most would concur that the E2 offers an alpha view at a budget price. The E2 was the best 8x30 in the Allbino's reviews by a considerable margin but they did say the M7 was a viable alternative for people that preferred a more weather and rain resistant binocular. The M7 is a good binocular but I personally found it too have more glare than my other binoculars under a lot of different situations so I returned mine. You may not have the bright sun in Northern Ireland that we do in Denver, Colorado though. Another alternative you might try that is small and compact and has a huge FOV with less glare than the M7 is the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA or BN. They sold for $1K when new but can be had for about $600.00 on Ebay now that they have been discontinued. They are really a tough waterproof binocular and would work good in Ireland.

Brock, are you just completely obsessed with 3D? Rhetorical question of course. Why is maximum 3D so important?

To say that everything is Flatland with roofs is clearly shall we say not true. Even my 10x30 have some 3D effect but I do occasionally miss more dof with them as compared with my 8x43.

I don't even think 3D TV caught on although I'm not big on home media news?

Is it impossible for you to look at a photo since it's not 3D enough? Obviously they are all photo's taken somewhere in Flatland.

Glad you're getting on with modernity and the Zeiss. Go on, just admit it. You love them. You can come out here. No-one here would ever ridicule anyone. So easy to lie with a keyboard.

When I had the E2 8x and was out and about I found I just didn't lift them to my eyes as much as I normally would my bins and I wondered why that was and it seemed to me that looking through the E2 didn't actually make much difference to just looking with my eyes (70mm ipd) which seemed to me to somewhat defeat the purpose of having a binocular.

I get a nice 3D view fine without a binocular. If you don't like Flatland through your binocular then just use your eyes for a break. It's kind of your own argument.

Ah, so there is something to my theory about IPD except it is the opposite, you are already have a wide IPD so that gives you a better 3-D effect with roofs than folks with a narrow IPD. 70* is usually the maximum IPD setting on binoculars, though I find they often can go a bit wider than that. It might also explain why the EII gives you an exaggerated 3-D effect.

I'm not "obsessed" with 3-D, I've never seen a 3-D movie although I did like those 3-D slide viewers I had when I was a kid (Viewmaster) that had double slides of the same landscape, which gave the illusion of a 3-D. All my friends liked them. We didn't have electronic games like kids do today to create the illusion of a 3-D, that was about it. That and our Matchbox cars (later slot cars) and toy soldiers. We had to use our imagination to fill in the details. Today, the scenarios all laid out for you in video games in graphic detail, you just have to work the joy stick.

I do prefer the 3-D view of Porros, and I'm hardly alone in that preference. I think what draws birders to roofs is their (generally) more robust build and waterproofing, and the fact that there are so many more of them to choose from. If manufacturers had favored the development of roofs (Porros can have internal focusers, an early Leica did, and so do reverse Porros and the Leupold Cascades and the Minox BP Porros), we might not be having this dialog and you'd be overdosing on 3-D landscapes and probably using a monocular for birding.

But the industry never got behind Porro WP/FP development. Instead they chose to purse the further development of roofs, which needed improvements just to come on par with cheap Porros in terms of brightness, contrast, and sharpness - phase coatings and 90-layer dielectric coatings - the former took decades to develop and the latter took at least a decade to develop. Then it took a while for that technology to become more affordable and filter down from the top, and so finally, here we are now to the point where Porros were decades ago.

Why did manufacturers favor developing roofs over Porros? Someone once posted some photos of women birders at the turn of the century. They have smaller hands than me, and had more time for leisure pursuits than their husbands, who when they had time went off big game hunting, so the women preferred roofs for their ergonomics despite their inferior image to Porros.

During that time period, birding was the pursuit of the rich leisure class. The burgeoning middle class and the working class were too busy raising their big broods and running their businesses or working in the mines or in the fields to have time to watch birds except when they were outside working. So roofs were developed for rich ladies, or so that story goes.

I proposed another or an additional reason. When Zeiss lost its factories in Jena during WWII, Jena took over making Zeiss Porros, some of which still survive in the form of Doctor Nobilems. If Zeiss West produced the same Porros as Zeiss East, that would not give them much distinction, so they pursued perfecting the roof prism binocular, and with Zeiss being the leader in sports optics, other companies followed the leader.

Whatever is the true story, today we have many, many more roofs to chose from than we do Porros, so someone looking for a bin with the latest coatings (since that more than anything else has been the major progress in binoculars in the past 10-15 years) has either the choice of cheap Porros or multiple price point/quality level roofs. Looking through a 1999 501 8x32 SE and 2010 550 8x32 SE, the leap forward in AR coatings is obvious (to me, at least).

There are some Porro collectors such as Simon S, but I think even he would admit that as nice and bright as the view is through old Porros, the image lacks the contrast and color saturation of modern roofs.

I don't get eye fatigue with roofs the way you do with the super 3-D effect EII, so I don't need to take a rest from them, but what I do need to take a rest from is super fast focusers (less than 1/2 turn from close focus to infinity). The Terra ED has such a focuser, and it does fatigue my eyes because it plays havoc with my focus accommodation, which is not as good as it used to be when I was younger. So, no, I can't admit that I love them, I don't, but I do like them. While they are acceptably sharp, they lack the fine feather detail of the SE and EII. I'm spoiled.

I might feel differently about the Conquest HD. It led the pack in terms of resolution in the second tier in the Porter's (birdwatching.com) comparative test. Provided the focus isn't too fast, I might find contentment with a Conquest, but I'd still rather have a black body 8x30 EII if I could only afford one or the other.

Yes, of course, Flatland, a 2-dimensional world where 2-dimenenstial creatures live, is an exaggeration, but roofs, and midsized roofs in particular, do give me more of an impression of a flattened landscape, more like a painting than what I see with my eyes.

Case in point, looking at rows of trees one in back of the other, with a Porro I can see the rows separated clearly, which gives a similar view that I see with my eyes. Look at the same landscape with the 8x32 LX and now the rows seem closer together, with little space between them, as if they had suddenly moved closer toward me (spooky). Next I thought they'd be throwing apples at me. ;)

The Flatland analogy was to show how differently we perceive the same landscape, but I would contend that you are the exception to the rule rather than me. Aside from Henry and a few others, there haven't been many BF members reporting that the view through roofs seems more natural than the view through Porros. I would concede that to be true at close focus where the wider separated barrels can cause your eyes to cross, but most Porros don't have really close focus like roofs. In fact, the closest focusing Porro I've owned has been the 8x30 EII @ 7 ft, and I don't notice as much barrel overlap with the EII at 7 ft. as I do with the SE at its close focus of 10 ft. Some expert gave an explanation for this but I don't remember what it was.

Once the humidity gets below 90%, I will resume my exploration of Quasi-Flatland. ;)

Brock

Last edited:
After testing for a few hours yesterday afternoon, I decided to sell my few weeks old Nikon 8x30 EII. But after considering it this morning some more, I'll give it another chance.

The view in the center of the field really is top-rate. The contrast and resolution are really excellent. It's when my eyes veer from looking straight ahead that I have problems.

I am a picky customer... I tried the latest Leica 8x32 and noticed the CA and field curvature right away.

Last edited:
After testing for a few hours yesterday afternoon, I decided to sell my few weeks old Nikon 8x30 EII. But after considering it this morning some more, I'll give it another chance.

The view in the center of the field really is top-rate. The contrast and resolution are really excellent. It's when my eyes veer from looking straight ahead that I have problems.

I am a picky customer... I tried the latest Leica 8x32 and noticed the CA and field curvature right away.
If you don't like field curvature try the Swarovski 8x32 SV. When you are picky it gets more expensive. With a big 9 degree binocular like the E2 you are going to get some field curvature.

To take Dennis's comment further: Are you taking into consideration the EIIs field curvature when your eyes veer from looking straight ahead? It has quite a bit of field curvature. Things closer to the edge of the view will be out of focus. A minor adjustment of the focus wheel will put them in sharp focus but then the center of your view will be out of focus.

This can be a good thing when looking into the branches of a nearby tree because everything you see will look in focus across the FOV but testing it on a fence line horizontal to your line of sight will show the edge going out of focus.

Bob

Last edited:
Hello all,

I posted the first comment, after the OP. I liked my EII, but I would not claim that it is a binocular for all people. all of the time. It is a great tool for those who understand its limitations and can comfortably use it. Although I found it very friendly, I know that folks differ and have "deal breaker" conditions. All well and good, as it is not a cult item or a fetish demanding obeisance and worship from bird watchers. [Some folks have clearly nominated a different binocular for that role]

Try before you buy is a great policy. So is dealing with a vendor who has a generous returns policy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Are you taking into consideration the EIIs field curvature when your eyes veer from looking straight ahead?

It is the greying/blacking out when I look to the left/right of the center of the field of view that I was referring to. It seems more susceptible to it than my other binoculars.

Last edited:

Like some Brit member once wrote, "You simply center the bird, my dear boy."

I miss my 8x30 EII, it had a wide sweet spot (>70%) and very gradual fall off at the edges. I had to move my target to the edge of the field to get it to blur. But that's not typical, it was a cherry.

You don't state your state, but it better not be Wisconsin because being "picky" in that state is a Class 3 felony, but only if you're caught mining boogers while driving (you can use your cell phone and drive, but not pick your nose and drive, go figure!).

And this governor wants to be president? What's next? Getting arrested by Popeye Doyle for picking your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Booger Badger Law

Pick free, as free as the nose blows
As free as the grass grows
Pick free to mine your own boogers

Write your Congresspersons. Vote NO to Booger Badger Laws! Your state could be next!

<B>

I removed the eye cups, and it seems to work a little better for me than just rolling back the eye cups.

Ads,

I recall that Frank D. had to do the same thing when he owned an 8x30 EII.

(Is my memory correct on that Frank?)

Some people just seem to be unable to use the EII. You my be one of them.

Bob

I owned an 8x32 SE for 3 years, and it served admirably as my primary glass. I have since sold it and obtained an 8x32 Conquest HD, and I have no regrets. The 3D view of the SE was impressive, but the HD brings with it the niceties of roofs: laying flat on your chest when not in use, no worries of internal fogging, and a slightly smaller form factor. Further, since I spend most of my binocular time trying to identify birds, I don't spend a lot of time pondering how much better the scene would be if it was "more 3D"—centerfield resolution is my main concern, along with a wide field for easily finding the bird in the first place. Maybe if I was looking primarily at landscapes this would be a bigger issue.

I owned an 8x32 SE for 3 years, and it served admirably as my primary glass. I have since sold it and obtained an 8x32 Conquest HD, and I have no regrets. The 3D view of the SE was impressive, but the HD brings with it the niceties of roofs: laying flat on your chest when not in use, no worries of internal fogging, and a slightly smaller form factor. Further, since I spend most of my binocular time trying to identify birds, I don't spend a lot of time pondering how much better the scene would be if it was "more 3D"—centerfield resolution is my main concern, along with a wide field for easily finding the bird in the first place. Maybe if I was looking primarily at landscapes this would be a bigger issue.

Perseid,

Sounds like for you, roofs are the right "tool" for the job. They would also work well for "butterfliers" and "buggers."

I like to watch birds (and critters) in their natural habitat, so for me, background is important. I'm particularly interested in how they relate to their environment and in inter-species reactions. I once saw a squirrel chase a hawk away, and I've seen mourning doves and starlings cooperating (flying together in close formation) to avoid a hawk. Got the squirrel attack on video!

So for me, porros are the right tool for the job since they give a more natural view of nature, more like what I see with my eyes, and they are generally more comfortable for me to hold than roofs, though I agree with you about the poor "hang" with the 8x32 SE. Extensions at the end of the barrels solved that issue for me. It made them the length of the 10x42 SE.

I also like looking at landscapes, and the way tree lines fall one in back of the other is more realistic in porros.

I could probably live with a 7x roof with a focuser that turned at a reasonable pace. The ZR 7x36 ED2 provided good depth but it had too much distortion (pincushion) and a poor edge on one side (two samples, the same way).

For 10x, it's generally not about the "Big Picture," but getting more detail on a chosen target, so the 3-D view is less important, I could live with a good quality 10x42 or 10x50 roof.

Brock

I hope you didn't misunderstand—I wasn't trying to downplay the benefits of a more "natural" view. All other things being equal, I would prefer a 3D view in addition to everything else. I think it would be accurate to say that I consider the SE and the HD roughly equal, as both give wonderful views and have their unique benefits, and I would be perfectly happy using either.

It's just that for me, and possibly for some others, a natural 3D view is not an absolute necessity, but is one factor of several influencing the choice of binoculars. When I had my SE, I used to wonder why someone would shell out well over $1000 on an optic that probably did not even produce a better view. I have a better understanding now, but having owned a great porro I can also understand why someone would choose the porro's view over a roof's other benefits.

Mark

Hello all,

I posted the first comment, after the OP. I liked my EII, but I would not claim that it is a binocular for all people. all of the time. It is a great tool for those who understand its limitations and can comfortably use it. Although I found it very friendly, I know that folks differ and have "deal breaker" conditions. All well and good, as it is not a cult item or a fetish demanding obeisance and worship from bird watchers. [Some folks have clearly nominated a different binocular for that role]

Try before you buy is a great policy. So is dealing with a vendor who has a generous returns policy.

Happy bird watching,

Excellent advice.
To which I would add that once a binocular is chosen a lot of time should be spent getting used to it.

Last edited:
To take Dennis's comment further: Are you taking into consideration the EIIs field curvature when your eyes veer from looking straight ahead? It has quite a bit of field curvature. Things closer to the edge of the view will be out of focus. A minor adjustment of the focus wheel will put them in sharp focus but then the center of your view will be out of focus.

This can be a good thing when looking into the branches of a nearby tree because everything you see will look in focus across the FOV but testing it on a fence line horizontal to your line of sight will show the edge going out of focus.

Bob

How much field curvature an 8x EII has depends on the sample. I've owned three samples, and each was different in that regard. The best was sharp to over 70% out and fell off very gradually until about 5-10% from the edge. I had to take a bird to the edge to get it out of focus. That's quite good for an 8.8* FOV and a user with lousy focus accommodation! I miss that one.

The other two had more field curvature, one a bit more than the other. One also had less "depth of focus" (to borrow Frank's camera borrowed term) than the other, which meant that like fast focusing roofs, the image would go out of focus with less turning than the other two samples.

I've also had three 8x32 SE samples, and they were much more consistent in terms of edge sharpness due to the field flatteners. The close focus varied a bit, one had a long 13 ft. close focus, a second 10 ft. (as specked), and the third, 9 ft.

Brock

Excellent advice.
To which I would add that once a binocular is chosen a lot of time should be spent getting used to it.

Hello Roadbike,

It often takes a while to learn how to use an instrument but sometimes one has to acknowledge the zen or gestalt [english usage of the word] and give up on a binocular. In my youth, that was "going with the flow." Some binoculars just won't do for some people, no matter how much time is spent with them.

Happy bird watching,

Hello Roadbike,

It often takes a while to learn how to use an instrument but sometimes one has to acknowledge the zen or gestalt [english usage of the word] and give up on a binocular. In my youth, that was "going with the flow." Some binoculars just won't do for some people, no matter how much time is spent with them.

Happy bird watching,

A case in point. I spent three years with the Nikon 8x32 LX/HG (two samples, the first had a wonky focuser), and for the life of me, I could not get comfortable with that bin. I really liked the quality of the view (except the 2-D image), but the ergonomics were horrible for my hands and the focuser was too fast for my eyes. Same optics with a slower focuser and more comfortable housing, and it would have been a keeper.

I also spent three years with a woman I was incompatible with (although not "ergonomically," I mean outside the boudoir :) before finally throwing in the towel. I think this says something about me. Whereas certain individuals may be too flighty, jumping from bin to bin (or bed to bed), others like me, need to know when to let go.

The above was an excerpt from my straight-to-paperback autobiography, titled "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" (with illustrations by James Thurber).

<B>

I was intrigued by this possibility, and did a little scrubbing. Indeed, some gunk did come off, but the overall area still shows noticeable wear, if not so obvious as the shiny areas in the pictures. Odd, given that I use my SEs a lot more and they show neither any obvious wear or gunk build-up (just an overall "polish" to the covering).

But perhaps such patina is worth something after all!;)

David

Just wondering if 'gunk' is a euphemism for jelly donuts? If so, I know that I am guilty of adding that particular patina to my bins. ;-)

Kidding aside, I do remember a real problem I had when first starting out birding with a pair of Bushnell's. Mosquito repellent (DEET based I believe) on my fingers was the culprit and it didn't take long for it to soften and destroy the rubber armoring. Probably still something to be careful of.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back