• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

marsh tit ? dundee (1 Viewer)

kawwauser

somebody submitted a pic to the local press for there readers page with the incorrect caption coal tit,it looks like marsh tit to me ,a very nice bird to find here

Attachments

• ttt.JPG
    ttt.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 249
Difficult to tell from that photo but, if the colour of the upperparts is remotely correct I'd suspect it's not been taken in the UK. It does, however, have a Marsh Tit feel to it even though the 'bib' looks a bit ragged, the bill a bit long and slender and I can see no sign of the white 'spot' at the base of the bill.

Chris

In my day both species were pretty rare in Scotland, and both would have been megas if they had turned up as far north as Dundee. From memory, Willow only occurred in SW Scotland and Marsh in the SE. Maybe the situation has changed in the last thirteen years, but somehow I doubt it.

I reckon either would still be pretty mega around Dundee. I'm not seeing the pale spot at the base of the cutting edge of the upper mandible that you expect in a marsh tit...

In my day both species were pretty rare in Scotland, and both would have been megas if they had turned up as far north as Dundee. From memory, Willow only occurred in SW Scotland and Marsh in the SE. Maybe the situation has changed in the last thirteen years, but somehow I doubt it.

I don't think the situation has changed much - if anything both have retreated further.

Assuming this isn't a hoax/mistake, it is a very interesting record. We have had a lot of prolonged easterly airflows this winter!

More of a Willow Tit feel to me

From the Willow Tit species account in "The Birds of Scotland":

"The northern subspecies borealis has been reported in Scotland on a few occasions, but none have been adequately substantiated for it to be included on the Scottish List. It has been recorded in England and therefore could reach Scotland, so any Willow Tit seen outwith the normal breeding range, particularly on the east coast...should be carefully checked."

i have been searching to see if the poster was on facebook but no joy,ill email the press and see if they can contact him

From the Willow Tit species account in "The Birds of Scotland":

"The northern subspecies borealis has been reported in Scotland on a few occasions, but none have been adequately substantiated for it to be included on the Scottish List. It has been recorded in England and therefore could reach Scotland, so any Willow Tit seen outwith the normal breeding range, particularly on the east coast...should be carefully checked."

I certainly got a borealis impression from the original photo, though the printing then scanning of the original photo has left it looking a little washed-out so it is difficult to be certain about the colour reproduction.

Last edited:
it was in the dundee evening telegraph on the 14/3/13,they only post one pic a day so pic could have been submitted weeks ago

I was with a group in Stornoway Woods in autumn and had a possible Willow Tit in with a large Tit flock. It was never relocated for positive id but was seen by three of the group separately...none realised it being such a rare in Scotland of course so thought nothing of it at the time until it was casually mentioned.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back