• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal tit? (1 Viewer)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
North-eastern Poland, 21st and 22nd of February, 12 pm, I recorded this bird from the garden near forest, coal tits regularly eat from the feeder in the garden.
The bird can be better heard in the second recording with siskins in the background. Is it coal tit and can you explain to me why? Why not marsh tit? Marsh tits also have a similar song to this of the coal tit. Thank you in advance for answering.

Attachments

• Coal-tit.mp3
    208.1 KB
  • Coal-tit-and-siskins.mp3
    595.2 KB
Is it coal tit
Did you see it and identify it? I'm afraid it's often not clear whether or not you have visually identified the birds in your recordings. This is an important point for any bird recording if a doubt about the ID is being considered, so needs to be stated clearly.

Did you see it and identify it? I'm afraid it's often not clear whether or not you have visually identified the birds in your recordings. This is an important point for any bird recording if a doubt about the ID is being considered, so needs to be stated clearly.
No, I didn't see the bird. I think it's obvious, because if I saw the bird I would describe it and If I saw it I would identify it by the appearance.

Last edited:
If I knew the appearance of the bird I wouldn't need to identify it by it's voice too

Have a look at the sonograms. They are different (and the timbre is a bit different), but I don't have evidence that they will always differ like that. I wouldn't expect to tell the difference between similar songs or calls by listening only, without referring to the sonograms. Sonograms are very important; otherwise you're often left guessing. (.wav files give you more accurate sonograms than .mp3 files)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224-155835_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224-155835_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240224-155811_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224-155811_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back