• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calgary/Banff next week (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Hi there

I'm on a short work trip to Banff (via Calgary) next week. I'll be without a vehicle, but may have a short window or two to take a stroll for a couple or three hours in one or both of the towns. Any pointers?

Cheers

James

Well, I've done a bit of online research and have opted for a couple of walks out of Banff if I get the chance. One to the Fenland Trail to the north west, the other to Cave & Basin Marsh to the south. I'll post a short note here to tell how I fared.

James

I believe Johnston Canyon is another nice short hike (has chimney swifts if I remember correctly) near the town of Banff. Also if you take the gondola up the mountain (easily accessible from "downtown" Banff), you can walk around and perhaps see some species that like higher elevations. (I have not been to either spot but looked them up once, as I was also going on a business trip there and thought I might have time - in the end I didn't, but took some nice walks on the trails along the river right in the town).

Calgary has all sorts of nice birding spots - Fish Creek Provincial Park for example. See also http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/ALBR.html for other Calgary suggestions or you can even post a request directly to that list for information. Public transportation is not so great in Calgary so if you are short on time, the spots in Banff are probably easier to get to.

Thanks gjoa, glad I did a quick check before heading off, I like the sound of the gondola, and will certainly look into it when I get out there.

Cheers

James

Last edited:
You are more than welcome, I hope you enjoy the trip! It should be a nice time to go, past high tourist season and beautiful fall colours hopefully.

Cheers,

Maggie

Not sure if there's public transport up to Lake Minnewanka James but if there is then that's definitely worth a look.

Have a good trip,

(an extremely jealous) Rich

Well, managed a few short jaunts; here's how it went.

Banff town

Lots of Ravens and Black-billed Magpies, and a few House Sparrows. One Osprey and one Peregrine over and Clarke’s Nutcracker on a couple of occasions. Common Yellowthroats and Wilson’s Warblers in riverside scrub, also large numbers of Ruby-crowned Kinglets when I first arrived, mostly gone a couple of days later, possibly migrants downed by drizzle, then moving on as the weather improved. Same possibly applies to the half dozen or so Audubon’s Warblers circuiting Central Park. One female Hairy Woodpecker in a side street at the tunnel Mountain end of town, occasional Crossbills over (rarely perching up, both Red & White-winged were seen when they did) and a couple of American Robins. Plenty of Mountain Chickadees around too, and one Savannah Sparrow (by the Bow River outside Bow View Lodge).

Fenland trail & Vermillion Lakes.

Did two strolls out this way. The first was on day 1, in drizzly weather, and the bushes were hooching with Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Also scattered along the edge of the road were scores of Pink-sided Juncos, dozens of White-crowned Sparrows, and a fair few Song Sparrows too. All of the Kinglets and White-crowned Sparrows and most of the Juncos and Song Sparrows were gone a few days later when the trail was walked again in much finer weather. The lakes held small numbers of wildfowl; mostly Green-winged Teal and Mallard, with some American Wigeon, Pintail, a couple of Gadwall and one female Canvasback. Prize for top duck though goes to Hooded Merganser, with half a dozen drakes and maybe twice as many redheads. Other highlights of the first walk out here were a cracking male Northern Harrier, a small party of Golden-crowned Kinglets and at least one Boreal Chickadee. Second time out to Vermillion Lakes was quite different, with far fewer small migrant songbirds (and no sign of the Harrier), but several Clarke’s Nutcrackers and a Northern Shrike (chasing a Chickadee). On both walks there were Red- (lots) and White- (a few) breasted Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees and White-winged and Red Crossbills.

Cave and Basin Marsh

A short walk in fine weather, very quiet, only bird of note was the only White-throated Sparrow (an immature) of the trip.

Tunnel Mountain

Walked up and back one afternoon. Highlights were best views of the trip of Clarke’s Nutcracker (party of a dozen or so just above the trail) and a flock of Pine Siskins near the top.

Somewhere or other

Had a non birding excursion up to the base of a ski-lift somewhere (south of the town I think) where I managed to sneak a couple of fly-over Townsend’s Solitaires and a distant Grey Jay.

So all in all I’d say pretty quiet, and certainly not the perfect time of year for a birding trip to this part of the world, but some pleasant diversions between workshops, and very pretty scenery. If you like mountains.

Never did get round to going on the gondola!

Cheers

James

Wow, James, that's pretty great for this time of year, especially the warblers. The Townsend's solitaire is not so common either. Thank you for the informative report!

Maggie

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back